When should I add a super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I (because I run bees for comb honey) ALWAYS give foundation, and foundation only
PH

slightly OT but the original Q seems to have been answered fairly well and wanted to expand on this a bit if I may be accommodated.

I have experimented in my supers with a mix of wired worker, wired drone, thin and 1/2" starter strips to get a mix of results and to compare against each other on the same flow, weather, colony strength etc.

My question - in your experience is it better to use thin foundation to get comb honey or starter strips to let them build their own - do they build thinner midrib than the manufactured thin foundation?

My answer is very simple I always use a good quality CC foundation.

Why? Because there is the risk of having drone comb and combs being built in ways I do not want if I mess about with starter strips and at the value point of CC what's the point in shaving a penny here and there while the ship founders?

It will not suit everyone but I am not working for them but myself. :)

PH

Hi PW63.

Welcome to the forum.

Strange place, ain't it

There are lots of wise and experienced people here.

I'm new as well. Got my nuc 3 months ago. (I'm on 14x12.)
Scarey times! Exciting times!

My lot filled the brood chamber and I put on my first super.
The little b*ggers virtually ignored it for 3-4 weeks.
Then they got the idea.

When I inspect tomorrow, I fully expect to put on a fifth (yes, fifth) super!

I guess I'm trying to be a bit chilled about all this. I listen to all the good advice, but remind myself that the earliest evidence of bees is one preserved in amber 100,000,023 years old! (I know it's exactly that old, as it was 100 million years old when discovered 23 years ago.)

I reckon the minutia of what I do is pretty irrelevant in that context.

Enjoy your beekeeping.

Dusty.

My answer is very simple I always use a good quality CC foundation.

Why? Because there is the risk of having drone comb and combs being built in ways I do not want if I mess about with starter strips and at the value point of CC what's the point in shaving a penny here and there while the ship founders?

but for a hapenneth of tar eh!! ;)

maybe i've been lucky my comb off starter strip has come out ok, but only did 4 and they were placed between one wired and one thin so there was a guide of sorts.

Just looking fwd to tasting it now :party:

the earliest evidence of bees is one preserved in amber 100,000,023 years old! (I know it's exactly that old, as it was 100 million years old when discovered 23 years ago.)

lol, like that, made me laugh out loud (lol!!)

pw

Yes definitely add a super - and don't forget Q excluder

I suggest you put a bit of slate/ply over the feeder hole in the cover board

Thank you jack

The bees don't want a hole in the middle of their ceiling letting all the warm air out

Just seeing how quickly they propolise over a piece of perforated zinc put on the feed hole proves the point.

Thank you jack

The bees don't want a hole in the middle of their ceiling letting all the warm air out

Just seeing how quickly they propolise over a piece of perforated zinc put on the feed hole proves the point.

many views on that - I don't have a strong one yet (being only a 2 month 2 hiver ;)) although I tend to use a feeder board and block hole with an old piece of tile but YMMV=

I was just trying to be slightly humourous with some word play :/

Welcome to the forum PW63 :)

I hope you are able to ignore some of the silly stuff that can go on (egos, personality clashes, :troll:'s etc). I am quite new to the forum and there really is some good stuff on here, and some real expertise.

Hope you stick around and good luck with your bees!

:iagree:

Probably Barking if they put a picture of a crown board with a hole in on here and ask for comments!; ;)

Probably Barking if they put a picture of a crown board with a hole in

actually Mr G, without being in anyway picky, Barking's in Essex

Latest posts

Back