When can I inspect newly housed swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxing

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I caught a swarm (of my own bees) & put them into a brood box of foundation & I put 6 litres of syrup in a feed for them to have something to make a start with. Si I now have two colonies.
This was two weeks ago. The syrup has nearly all gone.
They have been flying but not much because of the almost continuous rain & chilly weather.
How soon can I inspect to check on their stores & progress?

Have a look as soon as the weather is suitable

swarm can be inspected as and when you like.

it's the parent colony that you have to be mindful of not disturbing the virgin getting mated.

It has even been suggested to me that in the early days, while they are drawing comb, that rearranging the frames can help to produce more evenly-drawn comb ...

And the very first few days, when they definitely have no brood, is an excellent time for Varroa treatment, since there can't be any mites hiding and breeding in the protection of capped brood cells. All the mites there are will be on bees, and highly vulnerable to treatment.

It has even been suggested to me that in the early days, while they are drawing comb, that rearranging the frames can help to produce more evenly-drawn comb ...

And the very first few days, when they definitely have no brood, is an excellent time for Varroa treatment, since there can't be any mites hiding and breeding in the protection of capped brood cells. All the mites there are will be on bees, and highly vulnerable to treatment.

As long as the swarm is fairly established and staying- treat too early and they can get miffed and depart. Balancing act between queen laying again and newly swarmed

As long as the swarm is fairly established and staying- treat too early and they can get miffed and depart. Balancing act between queen laying again and newly swarmed

one of my swarms absconded last year after oxalic treatment

Isn't this one of the occasions when a QX under can be worthwhile?

* and if using Oxalic, probably best if its a plastic QX ...

Prime or cast? Prime will have open brood after only a few days and a Q/E under can be used to keep her. Casts are often a pain and can abscond at the drop of a hat.

If the weather is warm enough a short thymol treatment should be adequate. Culling the first patch of capped brood will mop up nearly all the rest.

Latest posts

Back