When and how did you start beekeeping?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the mid 70s, when I was a tiny kid, I used to stand and watch my uncle’s bees in his cob nut plantation and stand in awe. Was never allowed near them, which made the fascination even stronger. They were 2 tumble down hives, painted white, sat atop an old barrow under the trees. Bees were going in and out of them from all directions as the boxes were falling apart.

I was so fascinated I told my parents I wanted bees. Being only about 6, I didn’t get my way. Instead, I got the Ladybird book of bees and insects, which I pored over, absolutely absorbed, week after week for years. I still have it. Eventually my mum started saying “ when you’re 16” just to shut me up because it was so far off. But of course, my 16th birthday saw us driving across the country to pick up my first national brood with travel screen screwed down on top and me sitting in the back seat listening to them buzzing all the way home. I still remember the terror and elation of opening up that first hive for the first time all on my own. The hours / days / months of all that reading had been worth it.

No internet back then, no transport of my own so no access to a local club, so I just read a couple of books. Varroa was this mythical thing spoken of darkly that only happened very rarely to other people and the word fondant hadn’t been heard in bee circles, just like insulation hadn’t along with a dozen other gospel “must-dos” of the modem era.

I was still at school and arranged a class trip for everyone to come and see them! That was 34 years ago now and at 50 have just taken early retirement and decided to convert my hobby into a micro business- am still as excited as I was all those years ago!

I was so fascinated I told my parents I wanted bees. Being only about 6, I didn’t get my way. Instead, I got the Ladybird book of bees and insects, which I pored over, absolutely absorbed, week after week for years. I still have it.
Reminds me of when in about 1944 I told my mum that I wanted to collect stamps and she bought me some National Savings Stamps. Not at all what I wanted so Sold them when I was able to and have played with the equity markets ever since. Done good. Have never bought any workers bees - gifts, swarms and new q's only but I love 'em, better than plonk making and DIY for 35 years or more.

There have been bees where I live for over 150 years. When I moved here, old gatekeepers cottage, our in the sticks, over 40 years ago the old gamekeeper next door ( his grandfather had had bees in the same place)had 18 hives of cobbled together timber. I wanted to keep them then but too many children kept me busy. I eventually started in 2015 when my eldest son presented me with a homemade wbc and a book, saying ' you have talked about wanting bees long enough ' the rest is history. Like so many I wish I had started years earlier when I had youth on my side. Being a 5'2" woman in her early 70's means it's quite hard work with 18 nationals. But I'm still totally in love with my bees and learning their language.

In the mid 70s, when I was a tiny kid, I used to stand and watch my uncle’s bees in his cob nut plantation and stand in awe. Was never allowed near them, which made the fascination even stronger. They were 2 tumble down hives, painted white, sat atop an old barrow under the trees. Bees were going in and out of them from all directions as the boxes were falling apart.

I was so fascinated I told my parents I wanted bees. Being only about 6, I didn’t get my way. Instead, I got the Ladybird book of bees and insects, which I pored over, absolutely absorbed, week after week for years. I still have it. Eventually my mum started saying “ when you’re 16” just to shut me up because it was so far off. But of course, my 16th birthday saw us driving across the country to pick up my first national brood with travel screen screwed down on top and me sitting in the back seat listening to them buzzing all the way home. I still remember the terror and elation of opening up that first hive for the first time all on my own. The hours / days / months of all that reading had been worth it.

No internet back then, no transport of my own so no access to a local club, so I just read a couple of books. Varroa was this mythical thing spoken of darkly that only happened very rarely to other people and the word fondant hadn’t been heard in bee circles, just like insulation hadn’t along with a dozen other gospel “must-dos” of the modem era.

I was still at school and arranged a class trip for everyone to come and see them! That was 34 years ago now and at 50 have just taken early retirement and decided to convert my hobby into a micro business- am still as excited as I was all those years ago!
There have been bees where I live for over 150 years. When I moved here, old gatekeepers cottage, our in the sticks, over 40 years ago the old gamekeeper next door ( his grandfather had had bees in the same place)had 18 hives of cobbled together timber. I wanted to keep them then but too many children kept me busy. I eventually started in 2015 when my eldest son presented me with a homemade wbc and a book, saying ' you have talked about wanting bees long enough ' the rest is history. Like so many I wish I had started years earlier when I had youth on my side. Being a 5'2" woman in her early 70's means it's quite hard work with 18 nationals. But I'm still totally in love with my bees and learning their language.
How lovely in 5"2 in my late 50's and four hives is enough for me, you have my admiration

Last edited:
Have had a fascination with all things natural from an early age when I had stick insects and snails in big sweet jars in the bedroom and beetles in tins, slow worms and toads in glass tanks and my own small pond at the back of the garden that I would stock with tadpoles from the local pond.
Long story short, didn’t go to Uni as I wanted (to do zoology) and ended up in sales & marketing roles for the next 37 years with lots of travel until I took early retirement in 2019. My keen interest in gardening meant I spent the rest of that year developing a big veg patch and redesigning the garden to be more wildlife friendly.
OH bought me a beesuit and a beginners course that year for my birthday (in December) along with lots of bee related presents from friends….. so I bought a hive and loads of paraphernalia but then the pandemic struck, so despite having all the gear (& not much idea) I didn’t manage to get actual bees until June which was a full colony from the local BKA after I nagged them constantly!
The excitement on opening the hive for the first time was amazing and I’m still in awe of these little furry beasties.
Got my only hive through the first winter ok and now have my fingers crossed that my three hives will survive Storm Eustice! 😱😱😱
Oh and as far as I know, I’m the only member of my family to keep bees.

I never thought to keep bees when I lived in and around Lewes. I was mainly a landscaper and gardener then. Strange really, as I did maintain a garden with two hives in it. The bees never bothered me, but seemed to sting everyone else at various times!
A traumatic change in my life eventually led me to Birmingham of all places. Ohh alright.....it involved a beautiful woman :rolleyes: I worked as a scheme manager in sheltered housing, far removed from my earlier 'Country-boy' life.
One day in 2012 I was at a local church fete.....and as fate would have it, there was a chap called John and his wife Roxy. He was dressed in a bee-suit and getting people to spot a queen bee in a viewing box. We got talking and he said that he was running a course the next weekend. I signed up!
In another weird twist of fate we went to an open day, at a horse charity, shortly after. I realised it was an ideal location to keep bees and raise money for the horses by selling honey. My first apiary was formed! I had five colonies by the end of that year, lost three in the harsh winter that followed. Onwards and sideways.....as they say!
I worked as an SM for 12 years on my site, before I had to leave, due to physical illness and mental battering. So, I did what any insane person would do......became a beekeeper! :laughing-smiley-014
The beautiful woman, incredibly, is still with me 🥰 The things she has to put up with. This constant beekeeping obsession, with never a day going past, without some action or conversation that is bee-related. She has been stung....had swarm breakouts, in her car. You name it!

Last edited:
OK.....very hard work at times....but I am pretty fit and do alot of running.
I think it's hard work whatever age we are, very rewarding though. I try to swim three times a week off I can fit it in around work

Got interested in bees at 10 yrs old after seeing them in an observation hive at Dudley zoo. Managed to pass 11 plus and went to Dudley Grammar school where I joined the school beekeeping club in 1958 (organised by one of the teaching staff , a member of Hagley and Stourbridge BKA). With tuition and lots of weekly hands on experience with the schools 6 WBC colonies, I passed the BBKA preliminary (= todays basic) in 1959 and was given my first colony in late May of that year . These were hived (with help) into a white WBC bought second hand for £5 and sited in my parents back garden. They did well and I extracted 90 lbs of honey in august using an extractor borrowed from school. Sold most of the the honey for 3shillings and sixpence a pound. Melted and filtered the washed wax cappings and cast a block which won 1st prize in wax class at Kidderminster BKA honey show in 1960 . I was now hooked on both beekeeping and exhibiting at honey shows. 64 yrs later I keep 30 colonies in Nationals (but intend to reduce down considerably the numbers over the next year or so as I find the lifting is becoming a problem) . I am still quite active on the Beekeeping lecturing circuit delivering 30+ PPT talks every year to BKA meetings and conferences around the UK (using my own photos and videoclips as photography is one of my other hobbies ) . Lately have become less interested in judging and showing (as the novelty of tasting hundreds of honey samples at shows is wearing off ),

I think it's hard work whatever age we are, very rewarding though. I try to swim three times a week off I can fit it in around work

Another swimmer! I try to do four one-hour swimming sessions each week. Used to be five, but I just can't recover fast enough these days as I push myself quite hard. On the positive side, despite getting older I am actually getting faster, though during the university holidays my son tags along and makes me look really slow.

James

Another swimmer! I try to do four one-hour swimming sessions each week. Used to be five, but I just can't recover fast enough these days as I push myself quite hard. On the positive side, despite getting older I am actually getting faster, though during the university holidays my son tags along and makes me look really slow.

James
I'm not a great swimmer, great with the breast stroke but crawl technique is rubbish, takes my breath when I put my head in, going to work on it. Amazing to see some of the swimmers, like clockwork

I'm not a great swimmer, great with the breast stroke but crawl technique is rubbish, takes my breath when I put my head in, going to work on it. Amazing to see some of the swimmers, like clockwork

I wasn't that good at all, though I enjoyed swimming as a teenager and did some scuba diving in my 20s. When my children started swimming competitively I decided I should get back into swimming myself (along with training to be a coach). Taught myself to breathe (in front crawl) to both sides a few years back and then to tumble turn and am very happy swimming front crawl now. I actually find it easier and far less tiring than breaststroke. Now I still swim whilst my children have given up.

James

Back