What's left in the South East?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horseradish

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
My two swarms I caught this year are coming along nicely. I am confident that they will have the brood boxes full going in to winter and that they will have drawn out all 11 frames. I don't think that I will be lucky enough to get a super on at this point.

My question is, with the Bramble now finished, is the summer flow mostly coming to an end? What is left? Ivy? Is it worth trying with a super at this point?

Get out and about see what’s around. There may be fields planted with borage or sainfoin or maybe phacelia. You never know. Bramble is over here but there is still rosebay and balsam.My supers are coming off in the next week or so and I won’t be putting them back. Winter’s on its way. I leave ivy for the bees.

I am in the South East also. My plan is to remove all supers next weekend and begin winter preparation from that point. I would focus on taking your colony into winter as a strong unit to enable them to survive and produce a healthy colony in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the south west my field of borage is over and flows are off. Seems to have finished early this year!
E

Thank you all, I thought it was looking pretty barren out there. Winter prep it is. Time to start thinking about Varroa treatment.

there is still a fair bit coming in here in Sussex

last two years we had a significant flow form himalayan balsam but havent seen any yet so am expecting that still to flower

i tend to remove at end of august after HB

Supers off this weekend. Will leave them the honey in the BB. Combine any weak hives. Then thymol on. Ivy and then top up with sugar ( which is generally not needed)

Heather just pinking up nicely, thinking of taking a few more hives up there. Bees at home working balsam, rosebay willow herb and Lavender.

Some sites have dried up a couple of weeks ago heathland heather and balsam in others. A little ivy will normally start about second week in September.

There's still stuff coming in on the costa del Farehsm... I usually extract last week in August and anything after that is theirs. Get a good ivy flow but it's always late down here ...last year well in to October ! But as long as the weather is clement the bees work it - very welcome if pungent smell .. I'll feed if needed after that but don't normally need much.

North Dorset and the bramble is almost done, HB and RBWH have been in flower for some time. Like Enrico says - it's finishing early this year. Extra feeding may be required I reckon.

Watching the bees flying in to the hives this morning, they are very busy brining in bright yellow and cream coloured pollen and some looking like they are laden with nectar.
There are quite a few rough fields full of ragwort and thistles, a area of HB along the streams near by and lots of large gardens with plenty of flowers so not sure its quite finished here.

Latest posts

Back