What's in your apiary?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What's your preferred apiary floor like?

Slabs for the hives to stand on?

Grass - do you mow it?

Muclh over weed fabric for minimal work and a tidy look?

chipped wood from my hedge laying over bare earth as some thieving Pi**y b**ta*d stole a massive roll of terram I'd been given from the chapel stables last year

What's your preferred apiary floor like?

Slabs for the hives to stand on?

Grass - do you mow it?

Muclh over weed fabric for minimal work and a tidy look?

Concrete yard surface with breeze blocks under hives to provide elevation to avoid having to stoop while manipulating.

Lots and lots of stinging nettles, holes from a badger set and rabbits, and lots of building rubble from the houses that were there before it was an apiary. Plus also a few bee hives lol.

As my main out apiaries are at the sides of fields I place concrete paving slabs (try to make them level) on the ground but pretty much either grass and or nettles grow quite tall round the hives.
Besides ensuring that I have space to inspect and the entrance is always clear I don't usually strim them down too much as they also hide the hives from the public!

Concrete slabs with hives on breeze blocks in an orchard. Mowed/strimmed 2x yearly.
Cazza

Hives sit on paving slab each on the edge of the woodland area of my back garden (which us actually a glorified small field with fruit patch). Ground mainly old leaves and sticks - a bit uneven, but very sheltered and open to some good sunlight. Hives are right next to garden shed, so kids watch inspections from she'd window a couple of feet away!

concrete slabs on a bed of chippings to get it level, cut grass when I can't see hives :biggrinjester:

Weed suppressant membrane with gravel on top and then hives on home made stands.

Either concrete slabs# or wooden rafts on my lawn which is mown weekly .. I strim/mow under the hives to keep them neat and tidy.

# cut into two to save money and space..

beer crates on the grass. some have concrete slabs under the hives. others have a wooden stand made of a pair 5x2s long enough to have a pair of hives on each one

My apiary is different every time I visit :)
Large pile of wood (very large) has been there for a while now. Most of the cut stone has been used up but still a few palletsfull lying around. Storage tanks of various sizes come and go. Whatever appears provides shelter and privacy for the hives and my landlord is a perfect gentleman.

Here's mine
e7y3e3uj.jpg

y8ugy9eb.jpg

bapy5ube.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Rotting pallets (I must put down some slabs!) on weed infested clay/rubble (stingers) behind a barn backing onto OSR and bean fields, I take a pair of lawn clippers with me to ensure I have a working area around the hives. Love the apiary pictures above :)

On the side of a mountain facing south with a few hand flattened areas where I have laid 2 metre by 1 metre slabs to stop moles undermining them . If I inspect the front hives the back hives are Flying out above my head height! Difficult to walk down hill with full box's though!
E

Apiary No.1 Hive No.1 on wooden painted green pallet, with a few flat house tiles as landing boards, to stop them going under the floor and pallet.

Double hive stand with nuc box, just returned from Apiary No.2.

Apiary No.2 - large amount of weed fabric, covering approx 5m x 10m, double hive stand with two nationals, and bait hive on plastic bread crates, also have more plastic bread crates and wooden large pallet, as a fence to stop visitors.

(I like the idea of bark as mulch, must investigate, it will help weigh down the weed fabric, and stop the weeds)

Latest posts

Back