What's in Propolis remover?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simoncav

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi all,
I've just finished my last bottle of Propolis remover originally bought from Th****s. It comes as a spray and works very well, cleaning my gloves and hive tools etc but I'm wondering if I can buy something with a similar effect from the supermarket.

Does anyone have any idea what the active ingredient is? It's certainly not bleach....

Thanks in advance

Oven cleaner has previously been mentioned - but cant see it being that good for bee's =)

i've used std bleach spray from supermarket and that seems to work fine. I know it doesn't answer your question, sorry, but just an alternative.

Hi all,
I've just finished my last bottle of Propolis remover originally bought from Th****s. It comes as a spray and works very well, cleaning my gloves and hive tools etc but I'm wondering if I can buy something with a similar effect from the supermarket.

Does anyone have any idea what the active ingredient is? It's certainly not bleach....

Thanks in advance

Thor*es site says the active ingredient is potassium hydroxide.

Thor*es site says the active ingredient is potassium hydroxide.

Beats me why it should be potassium and not sodium hydroxide., the latter being just as effective and about half the cost of KOH.

Justification for the cost, maybe?

I use a mix of 1 kg soda crystals to 5 litres of water with a squirt of fairy liquid and store in a lidded bucket. Cleans hive tools, gloves, feeders - anything really. You can also add soda crystals when washing your bee suit.

Bleach and caustic soda (NaOH) work well and are cheap. Need to be careful though - both can cause havoc undiluted.

Surgical spirit will take off propolis - cheap too and not so bad for your skin. Don't know what it would do to bees but I wash gloves after cleaning them.

Surgical spirit will take off propolis - cheap too and not so bad for your skin. Don't know what it would do to bees but I wash gloves after cleaning them.

so I could soak this porter escape in that and it'd get rid of the gunk? I have been toying with the idea of sitting there picking at it with a point instrument.

so I could soak this porter escape in that and it'd get rid of the gunk? I have been toying with the idea of sitting there picking at it with a point instrument.

just pop it in the soda solution you keep hive tools in, takes propolis off easily

Latest posts

Back