What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walked under the limes right next to my apiary at 21:20 this evening and they were still humming away. Saw the first few ghost bees today too

Field of white poppies on neighbouring land, sewn for feed seed apparently, no idea if they are purely pollen producers , or have a viable nectar.
And the phacelia has sprung up really quickly, the boss has planted 5ha right in front of my hives at work, as part of SFI, borage and 4 other nectar producers in there as well. 👍.1000029038.jpg1000029175.jpg

Field of white poppies on neighbouring land, sewn for feed seed apparently, no idea if they are purely pollen producers , or have a viable nectar.
And the phacelia has sprung up really quickly, the boss has planted 5ha right in front of my hives at work, as part of SFI, borage and 4 other nectar producers in there as well. 👍.View attachment 40633View attachment 40634
Oh you lucky person. I am so envious 😁

Similar here, bees ignoring thirteen Lime trees in favour of a Privet hedge.
Today we have had flood warnings with heavy rain. Fortunately its not biblical in amount but the bees will be staying at home and it's not overly warm. The weather later in the week is supposed to improve. My little voice recorder arrived and so have taken the opportunity to read the manual. Much good will it do me! It's tiny bit of kit so with poor eyesight and electronic gadget incompetence I will record and replay the messages/verbal notes to aid the failing memory of what I have seen and done in the apiary visit and then write it all down in my notebook. Likely never read it again!!! It is nice to look at previous years dates and timings of splits and swarms.

And the phacelia has sprung up really quickly, the boss has planted 5ha right in front of my hives at work, as part of SFI, borage and 4 other nectar producers in there as well. 👍.View attachment 40633View attachment 40634
Beautiful/splendid sight, lucky person.

So I was chatting to my wife (or at least vaguely in her direction - nobody listens to me) about what plants I was seeing bees on. I said that it was strange that how in South Africa, we saw so many bees on agapanthus and here in England, we dont. As I said it, I pointed to the agapanthus..... and saw a bee!IMG-20240718-WA0004.jpg

When to extract in 2024

Wait a few weeks later than normal, possibly early to mid August as the season seems to have shifted later this year, what are other forum members thinking.

Makes Varoa treatment a little later than ideal for many of us that don't Vape.

Bramble still flowering here. Lots of thistles in nearby fields that have been left for two years. A sort of unofficial rewilding I suppose. The farm is owned by the council, but does not have a tenant. Great for dog walking - which is when I saw lots of honey bees on the flowers. Very few bumbles though and no butterflies. A bad year for many insects.

Bramble still flowering here. Lots of thistles in nearby fields that have been left for two years. A sort of unofficial rewilding I suppose. The farm is owned by the council, but does not have a tenant. Great for dog walking - which is when I saw lots of honey bees on the flowers. Very few bumbles though and no butterflies. A bad year for many insects.
Bug blast on my train windscreen is extremely minimal compared to other years, hardly had to use the screen wash and wipers to clear it at all.

Wait a few weeks later than normal, possibly early to mid August as the season seems to have shifted later this year, what are other forum members thinking.
What looked like a dismal season for me has taken a turn upwards. The beginning of August looks good and there is masses of balsam here. I might wait a week or so too

When to extract in 2024

Makes Varoa treatment a little later than ideal for many of us that don't Vape.
I reckon the supers will stay on a little later this year.
I’m expecting a big varroa drop this year as my colonies have all have made many more drones than I’m used to seeing.
A good reminder - I must order more oxalic in readiness.

Latest posts

Back