Using Queen Cells for Nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb2603

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have an existing nuc which I split 11 days ago. I checked on them today and they have built 3 lovely looking queen cells. The genetics of the original queen are very good in my opinion so I’m wondering, rather than squishing the excess cells, could I cut the cells out and make a couple of 3 frame nucs? Is it too late in the season to do this? How long between making up the nucs, can I add the cell? If i need to protect the cell, does wrapping in aluminium foil with just the end protruding work best?

I have an existing nuc which I split 11 days ago. I checked on them today and they have built 3 lovely looking queen cells. The genetics of the original queen are very good in my opinion so I’m wondering, rather than squishing the excess cells, could I cut the cells out and make a couple of 3 frame nucs? Is it too late in the season to do this? How long between making up the nucs, can I add the cell? If i need to protect the cell, does wrapping in aluminium foil with just the end protruding work best?
I wouldn't make 3 frames nucs with Qcs now, too late in my opinion. At this time of year you want to make 5-6 frames nuc with a mated queen.

I wouldn't make 3 frames nucs with Qcs now, too late in my opinion. At this time of year you want to make 5-6 frames nuc with a mated queen.
It's not too late yet, we've just done our last grafts. Three frame nucs with three frames of foundation can be made through to the end of August, our last import queens arrive around the 21st, you must keep up with trickle feeding to encourage brooding though.
These usually produce the finest drawn frames with almost no drone brood.
I've been producing late nucs this way for twenty years for osr pollination the following year.

It's not too late yet, we've just done our last grafts. Three frame nucs with three frames of foundation can be made through to the end of August, our last import queens arrive around the 21st, you must keep up with trickle feeding to encourage brooding though.
I've been producing late nucs this way for twenty years for osr pollination the following year.
One can afford to lose a nuc or two and have the experience , we are advising a relative newbie /novice beek without much experience.
One gives advice in the context given.

Perhaps yes but you have ample resources and they probably don't all work. Whether the OP can afford to try it is different?
My last batch of queens are in mating nucs and will hopefully be able to get out and mate over the next few days as weather is ok. I don't have loads of hives so want to ensure my nucs make it through.

One can afford to lose a nuc or two and have the experience , we are advising a relative newbie /novice beek without much experience.
One gives advice in the context given.
I was passing on knowledge I have gained from my experience. When I started I only had 3-4 hives and was a newbie, this technique has worked for me but other uncontrollable factors must be taken into account as well.
Just because I run more hives than most on here doesn't mean that I have unlimited resources, in fact it's
Probably the exact opposite as we have wages/pensions and other commercial expenses etc.
A case in point today.
A new customer messages asking for us to collect the honey we sent out last week & give a refund as she has found a cheaper honey sourced from a competitor in Telford.
That competitor has a photo on Facebook extracting their honey in the kitchen minus hair net but includes jewelry worn with dangle ear rings, dog & dog bed next to extractor.
We wouldn't get away with that & compliance costs.

Latest posts

Back