What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Multi Floral Rose...a wicked invasive...is in full bloom. Burnt orange pollen. Staghorn Sumac coming on. A very good nectar producer. Slight vanilla flavor in the honey.
At what stage do the flowers on your staghorn sumac trees start to become attractive to bees as forage. My flowers are changing from pale green to slightly darker with a reddish tint. See pictures below

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
At what stage do the flowers on your staghorn sumac trees start to become attractive to bees as forage. My flowers are changing from pale green to slightly darker with a reddish tint. See pictures below
They become attractive in the pale green photo. The other the flowers are going by. Both photos are of male flowers. Once done, the flowers fall off leaving a spike. Do you have a photo of female flowers? They too Are attractive when pale green. Once they go by, the flower cluster become fruits and the whole thing turns red. High ins vitamin C. The birds and squirrels feast on the fruits in the spring. A Red Squirrel will bitnoffthe fruit cluster and take it home. Our Robins pick away at it until there's not much left. All in all...a wonderful plant.

I have to drive through this meadow to get to one of my apiaries, the orchids were stunning this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_3103.jpeg
    IMG_3103.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3102.jpeg
    IMG_3102.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3100.jpeg
    IMG_3100.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
You can also visit the largest redwood forest in Europe (500 specimens) planted by North American initiative to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the rediscovery of America by Christopher Columbus.
https://www.guiategalicia.com/bosque-secuoyas-rojas-mas-grande-europa/
We have a tree here that is apparently related to the Redwood. It's called King Billy Pine. Absolutely gorgeous figure at times. Here is a piece of salvaged wood as an example. Apparently it even produces viable seeds when grown in Scotland.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athrotaxis_selaginoides

Attachments

• IMG_20230528_120812497.jpg
    IMG_20230528_120812497.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
They become attractive in the pale green photo. The other the flowers are going by. Both photos are of male flowers. Once done, the flowers fall off leaving a spike. Do you have a photo of female flowers? They too Are attractive when pale green. Once they go by, the flower cluster become fruits and the whole thing turns red. High ins vitamin C. The birds and squirrels feast on the fruits in the spring. A Red Squirrel will bitnoffthe fruit cluster and take it home. Our Robins pick away at it until there's not much left. All in all...a wonderful plant.
Thanks Michael. No I don't have any photos of the female flowers. I was not aware there were male and female flowers - so another piece of knowledge. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back