What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a golden chain tree...a variety of Laburnum but it should not be in flower now - when did you take the photo ?
Yesterday I took the photo as dani said it’s not in flower there’s 6 trees dotted about near my workshop

Yesterday I took the photo as dani said it’s not in flower there’s 6 trees dotted about near my workshop
The yellow flowers develop into seed pods - it normally flowers in late spring and the flowers look very much like your photo - then they produce the seed pods which are what you are seeing in the chains. We had one in the garden of our first house - it's part of the Laburnum family and all of it is very poisonous. Very easy to grow from seeds ... our tree used to spread seeds all over the garden borders I was always digging up the seedling trees.

IMG_20220820_140654.jpg

Not a particularly spectacular image, but this huge and very late-flowering buddleja was attracting not only honeybees yesterday, but two species of bumble, wasps, bee-mimic hoverflies, four species of butterfly and at least three hummingbird hawk-moth. There was also a large dragonfly patrolling, but I guess he's more interested in the insects than the buddleja

It's a golden chain tree...a variety of Laburnum but it should not be in flower now - when did you take the photo ?
Do the bees forage laburnum?
On the way to Cardigan along the coast the hedgerows are made up almost entirely of laburnum for miles.

Last evening while walking the dogs, I noticed the fragrance of Goldenrod flowers. Today I smelled Goldenrod nectar ripening. First time GR has yielded nectar since 2019.
We have Golden Rod here particularly on railway sidings. I think your variety is slightly different from ours.

Wow, that's early ... my common Ivy rarely flowers much before October ... that looks like an ornamental variety, the leaves don't look anything like normal Ivy leaves ?

https://www.mydomaine.com/types-of-ivy-5083763
Based on that link I'd say it's Irish Ivy, but there seems to be an awful lot of it around here. That picture was on the wall of a local cemetery - the tree I posted a picture of last year (What's flowering as forage in your area) is at a similar stage of development. My garden fence is covered too:
IMG_20220821_165028.jpg

With a bit of luck perhaps I'll get an ivy crop in with time to spare for 2:1 feeding after!

Ivy leaves change when it becomes arboreal, they lose the pointed lobes and become more like those in the photo, it also takes ten years to flower.
I was looking at Ivy that was roughly the same stage, yesterday, I give it two or three weeks before the earlier varieties are out. There's not a single bud on my Persian Ivy yet.

The bees have found the Goji berry. It’s a bit invasive and we have to hack it back each year but the bees love it, as do the birds - not managed to get any berries before they do.

Attachments

• 97B195DD-F6DF-4B03-BEDE-A8D47474DA83.jpeg
    97B195DD-F6DF-4B03-BEDE-A8D47474DA83.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 0
  • 0E1C5397-B088-4574-809A-2B0A5EECD868.jpeg
    0E1C5397-B088-4574-809A-2B0A5EECD868.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 0
  • F33B5E02-52B5-457B-9B52-EBCA09D8F059.jpeg
    F33B5E02-52B5-457B-9B52-EBCA09D8F059.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 0
Ivy flowers out now in Bath, can see the pollen going into the hives. This particular ivy is on a very long ivy hedgerow

Attachments

• 20220820_180518.jpg
    20220820_180518.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back