what's everyone up to...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gave a talk about renewable energy to a local small farm training group a couple of weeks ago - my only "aid" was an old-fashioned white board upon which I drew crude diagrams of wind turbines, and parts of a solar hot water system, apart from that relied on humour and waving my arms around a lot, and rather a lot of heaven-gazing whenever the subject of councils/government came up........ I could quite easily have used Open Office Presentation (same as powerpoint only better 'cos it's not Microsoft), but to be frank, I really can't see the point (joke- powerpoint- point - oh nevermind!)
People are sick and fed up to the back teeth with the computer presentations, favoured as they are by the cretins who spout management boll*ckese, or want to flog you something.........So to suddenly find this bloke who's "winging it" keeps them on their toes, gets them interested, and the "flow" isn't in the least interrupted when someone wants to ask a question......
As has been said, you have to learn the skills to use Powerpoint, take blooming ages to produce something that's inherently been "done to death", and have to indulge in expensive luxuries like projectors and screens - cast them away, and "wing it"..............
I took an A4 sheet with a few jotted "headings" just so I didn't forget anything to help me, and did them each a printed "crib sheet", with a tiny bit of advice, and lots of weblinks (if anyone's interested, it was the top part of this - http://www.solarwind.org.uk/)
I'm pleased to say that I got lots of positive feedback, and the group have asked me back in the spring to "do it again" for the other lot that couldn't fit in the first time............. go on - just do it!:)

was ment to be going away but ended up with father coming down to see me with a second hand carpet to lay in one of my rooms.

Started day with 1hr down the gym at 8am much to my fathers supprise! (didnt reckon i would be able to get my lazy ass out of bed!)

came home, cooked breakfast, layed carpet, made a block to reduce size of of wbc brood box with a late swarm in intend to put insulation behind it to help bees out a bit and keep them warmer this winter. Oh and had a meal out!

Not a bad day

Gave a talk about renewable energy to a local small farm training group a couple of weeks ago - my only "aid" was an old-fashioned white board upon which I drew crude diagrams of wind turbines, and parts of a solar hot water system, apart from that relied on humour and waving my arms around a lot, and rather a lot of heaven-gazing whenever the subject of councils/government came up........ I could quite easily have used Open Office Presentation (same as powerpoint only better 'cos it's not Microsoft), but to be frank, I really can't see the point (joke- powerpoint- point - oh nevermind!)
People are sick and fed up to the back teeth with the computer presentations, favoured as they are by the cretins who spout management boll*ckese, or want to flog you something.........So to suddenly find this bloke who's "winging it" keeps them on their toes, gets them interested, and the "flow" isn't in the least interrupted when someone wants to ask a question......
As has been said, you have to learn the skills to use Powerpoint, take blooming ages to produce something that's inherently been "done to death", and have to indulge in expensive luxuries like projectors and screens - cast them away, and "wing it"..............
I took an A4 sheet with a few jotted "headings" just so I didn't forget anything to help me, and did them each a printed "crib sheet", with a tiny bit of advice, and lots of weblinks (if anyone's interested, it was the top part of this - http://www.solarwind.org.uk/)
I'm pleased to say that I got lots of positive feedback, and the group have asked me back in the spring to "do it again" for the other lot that couldn't fit in the first time............. go on - just do it!:)

There is alot to be said for this. I also like the white board, but the black board is even better - I can throw the board rubber at people who are falling asleep (I am not a teacher!!)

I once had a question at Uni that asked whether the computer saved time when doing all these sorts of tasks. The entire group agreed that invariably, it wasted more time than the effort put in.

S

this weekend has not gone to plan the great list of jobs still stand if not increased, collected some of the green recycle bags on the way home from work to add to the leaf mulch pile, more on that later, planted a load of willow sticks, started and almost finished collecting the runner been seeds, still need to dry them out better. didnot evan get to cleaning bee shed out, and stripping down pcb panels from work i now have a massive collection of electronic parts some of which are very expensive so on ebay they go. we also had a clear out of other stuff from work so thats now 12 things on fleabay. still i was relaxed and that helps alot at the moment as work is getting a little stress full not the job its self but if i have a job on monday stuff.

also managed to go out and guerillia garden two areas with some seeds ready for next years spring well happy

Latest posts

Back