What would you do with a frame of brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenovice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I caught a small swarm of bees yesterday. I popped them in a nuc box with a frame of stores and a frame of brood. Some of the brood frame was open, and some was sealed.
If the swarm abscond, how long have I got before the brood frame dies? Should it be placed back into the parent hive for cleaning? If you do end up with a frame of dead brood, do you have to discard it?

My hens like brood :)
If it's been in contact with bees other than your own and you haven't got hens then I'd burn it.

My hens like brood :)
If it's been in contact with bees other than your own and you haven't got hens then I'd burn it.

They were my bees.
I do have hens. If I give it to the hens, is the wax salvageable. I'm sure the robin would appreciate it too. I notice she has young to feed.
Thanks for advice

Why waste the brood??. Doubt they will abscond if brood there, that's what holds them usually.
Keep the dumped 'varroa checked drone brood' for the hens.
Only ever feed your own bees immediately. Unknown source, wait 2 days before feeding.. but still insert a brood frame.

They were my bees.
I do have hens. If I give it to the hens, is the wax salvageable. I'm sure the robin would appreciate it too. I notice she has young to feed.
Thanks for advice

OK....I'm a bit weird here. I hate uncapping live drone brood so it gets frozen.
Frozen wax is very brittle, the grubs just fall out. The hens and, as you say, nesting birds get them and I melt the wax for tea lights which I sell.

Latest posts

Back