what trees are theese

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullframe45

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 --5.
Had a walk round the surounding fields yesterday and as my apiary is surrounded by trees saw lots of theese .As im new to bees and flowers can anyone please identify what they are and if my bees will benefit from them. Thank you

Attachments

• buds.jpg
    buds.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 128
  • berries.jpg
    berries.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 127
The first one looks like Hazel, with developing Hazel nuts. Hazel has catkins in the spring which are wind pollinated. The bees are able to collect the pollen from the male catkins, but no nectar is produced.

Not sure about the berries.

Last edited:
Hazel nuts
Guelder Rose (Dogberry): Viburnum opulus

I've not noticed bees visiting the flowers of the latter.

Last edited:
Second one looks like a Viburnum to me - but which one ? There's hundreds of them .. at a guess Guelder Rose - Viburnum Opulus.

Not sure what benefit to the bees it is.

edit....

Ahhh Amari beat me to it !

Never see bees on Guelder but the birds like the berries
Hazel nuts are great. Stan eats them raw off the tree.... yuk
I make Nutella from them. Much nicer than shop bought and more child friendly

Thank you ,also a lot of young oak trees several fields of wheat corn and barley along with the field beans and rye grass. Not sure if any of theese would be beneficial either.

Never see bees on Guelder but the birds like the berries
Hazel nuts are great. Stan eats them raw off the tree.... yuk
I make Nutella from them. Much nicer than shop bought and more child friendly

Cob nuts are lovely!

I have never seen as many oak catkins as there were this spring and the bees were working them with gusto

082A2B07-9C9A-473D-A881-295C2883B726.jpeg

Second one looks like a Viburnum to me - but which one ? There's hundreds of them .. at a guess Guelder Rose - Viburnum Opulus.

Not sure what benefit to the bees it is.

edit....

Ahhh Amari beat me to it !

The Forum is not meant to be competitive in the slightest sense.......

Stan eats them raw off the tree.... yuk
Never knew they needed cooking!
Great memories as a kid with my grandfather going out collecting nuts in the autumn, his old army gas mask bag over my shoulder, we were still eating them come January, t was funny but a few years ago I found the bag when clearing out and decided to use it as a spare cartridge bag (a use it had for years) and tucked in a corner I still found some of those nuts.

Back