What time to inspect

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKWebber

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
On my 10 week course hives were opened and inspected based on when the practicals were scheduled and I never thought to ask, if the weather and temperature conditions are right is there a best or preferred time of day to inspect a colony, alternatively is there a time period during the day to be avoided.

As long as it not raining and the weather is warm enough for short sleeved shirts it should be ok

If a large colony I tend to inspect mid afternoon when lots out foraging- less in the hive.
Just NEVER when dusk/dark - they wont like it

A good flying day is best. I try to do mine on Saturday morning - weekly inspections. If the weather is poor then I have Sunday as a reserve day.

They can be ratty if a thunderstorm is brewing on any day of the week.

I also inspect mine mid-afternoon while the foragers are out, if time permits. If I want to have a really good look and/or find the queen, I will sometimes move the brood box 30 feet away and leave the gabled roof, propped up, in its place. The foragers then return to this and cluster underneath it, leaving the inspection site mainly free of flying bees. Once finished I move the brood box back and turn the roof upside-down - the flying bees then go back to the hive.

Nick

Depends - I go to school all week, and then play cricket on Saturday/Sunday, so in the height of summer I often have to inspect in the evenings. Just never inspect when it is raining or stormy.

Ben P

As has been said, if possible inspect mid-day to mid-afternoon on a good weather day when the majority of flying bees are busy foraging.

This makes it less crowded in the hive and you should be able to inspect easier but always bee aware on the potential for thunderstorms, even in the distance bees will detect them and turn nasty!

Personally although I aim for the mid-day slot it always depends on my time / the weather and how many hives I have to inspect that day!

Colonies with virgin queens need careful consideration. Think about it.

Also depends on the type of inspection - most are referring to dismantling the brood box.

Those with hundreds of colonies can't pick their times quite the same as hobyists.

Those with hundreds of colonies can't pick their times quite the same as hobyists.

But they know what to do. And their systems are very harsh. A few minutes per hive, open- close.
'Then to chew things to forums...

Last edited:
All of the above are right IMO, I think Heather, Ben and o90o sum it up because there is an ideal and a must do element. The other consideration is why are you opening up?

Example: at 19:00 last night (16'C) I quickly opened up 2 colonies and removed queens to allow them to stand the best part of a day queenless before combining this afternoon, no smoke, marked the queens last week to make sure of a quick ident, in and out within a couple of mins max, no problems experienced.

Work and weather can get in the way of the ideal. Did that break some 'ideal' guidelines - possibly, was it planned - yes, did it work - yes, was it wrong ??? answers of a post card to ....

Latest posts

Back