what temp do bees stop taking 2:1 syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keir01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
what temp do bees stop taking 2:1 syrup. Even if they are still low on stores and no nectar flow occurring. When would you switch to fondant if you were worried they were low on stores.
Only my 2nd question to forum, so please don't stick the boot in if you happen to have been keeping bees a long time. Cheers
Keir

They'll keep on taking syrup as long as they need it. The trouble is that as the temperature cools the bees won't be able to reduce the water content enough for them to cap it which then risks fermentation. I think:spy:

Cheers for that. do you think it would be advisable to change over to fondant at a certain "cut off" temp? Or is it really just trial and error because of lots of different variables other than temp?

first frosts then i change to fondant

With the change in weather this week I wouldn't put any more syrup this year. How much stores are in the hive now?

They'll keep on taking syrup as long as they need it. The trouble is that as the temperature cools the bees won't be able to reduce the water content enough for them to cap it which then risks fermentation. I think:spy:
And that could be dependent on the level of insulation or not in the hive...
Alas nothing is simple...
to prolong it as much as possible a high degree of insulation would help. But as to exactly when that would reach its limit? Cant say. Honey or syrup ripening is an energy intensive process.

they'll keep taking it whilst temps within the hive are such that there are still active and able to reach the feeder.
thymolated syrup helps prevent mould problems if bees unable to get % water down to regulation level for capping.

personally if hives still proper light by 5th november i'd swap to fondant so they could be shut up for the winter.

The hive isn't to bad for stores, they have been going crazy last couple of weeks with Himalayan balsam. I didn't feed with syrup because of this, but now i am thinking they might need a bit more supplies before spring. The big change in temp today just got me wondering about the whole issue of feeding. Big thanks for the responses has definitely given me food for thought.

Worth bearing in mind that very little stores is used (grammar) over winter, it's when they start raising brood in quantity (usually Feb) that they start to pile through it, so if they have a reasonable amount of stores you may want to hold fire, and feed fondant later if needed.

There was another post with the same question last week and after a bit of research it was all about the temp of the syrup not the ambient temp however below zero bees refused feeder

Worth bearing in mind that very little stores is used (grammar) over winter, it's when they start raising brood in quantity (usually Feb) that they start to pile through it, so if they have a reasonable amount of stores you may want to hold fire, and feed fondant later if needed.

Hi keir01,
Sweetie, OP that's the question I have never had answered! You have to be happy with the stores either how many; visually by frames (estimated kg or lbs) or 'heftingly' by man power i.e. weight. Now, last winter I knew mine were light because they would not stop brooding, so OA time they all received a slab of fondant continuously until my Brambleys blossomed. However, this year I have one colony with lots of stores and no winter bees and guess which one I am more concerned about! Skyhook is right on the button there, but in my case it may be sooner rather than later?

There was another post with the same question last week and after a bit of research it was all about the temp of the syrup not the ambient temp however below zero bees refused feeder

Do not believe Sauna man when he says add vodka to the syrup!:icon_204-2:

Just made up one gallon of 2:1 syrup, the hive dosnt feel too bad, i was going to do a last feed as insurance, max # min temps over the next four days are (19 # 11) (18 # 8) (18 # 10) (15 # 8) shhould i turn the syrup into fondant and feed ?

Thanks

I have one hive in Penrith and 3 hives 1000 foot higher towards Keswick.
The one in Penrith is still taking Syrup and the other 3 all stopped this week.

Keir

In urban Manchester you can safely keep the feeder on until end of October - or until they stop taking it

richard

... shhould i turn the syrup into fondant and feed ?

No.
Boiling down syrup is a great way of making HMF.

If you are needing to feed underweight hives now, I'd suggest that you try them with some Ambrosia.
They can take it and store it quicker and later than 2:1
Seems to me that this colder spell is the point to switch over.

You could try a cheap luggage scale and weigh it either side under the floor~#~, add the two readings together and it should be about 40kg (floor,National brood, crown and roof)

#~ i had a screw in either side of the floor on some hives to take the scale hook, now i can judge the weight i need by hefting

My bees have stopped taking syrup early this week so I removed it from the hive. Here in Cambridge the weather has been excellent but the last few days it has been down to 7 deg C and with a cold N wind. I will insulate my hive this next week then feed fondant at the end of the month. I hefted them yesterday and I would guestimate around 20KG of stores. Visually, from my last inspection, I guess they have up to 4 times of what they had this time last year so fingers crossed they will get through the winter.:thanks:

Back