What sort of queen has the most gentle traits?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjt

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 at two out apiaries
One of my hives is queenless and so I may have to buy in a queen. Above all I want a quiet, gentle colony, not too bothered about honey production.
What is considered to be the queen most likely to have gentle progeny?

I have been told that Buckfast are gentle but second year cross can be the opposite.

I wouldn't get a carniolan queen, I've had a few and they have all been very swarmy.

One of my hives is queenless and so I may have to buy in a queen. Above all I want a quiet, gentle colony, not too bothered about honey production.
What is considered to be the queen most likely to have gentle progeny?

I have been told that Buckfast are gentle but second year cross can be the opposite.

Local queen from a beekeeper with quiet, productive bees. Ask around your local association.

A friend has New Zealand Italians and to me it is almost impossible to get them to sting.

Carnolan bees are also gentle but they are the first to swarm and then perhaps swarm again.

I prefer Buckfast they are gentle originally developed in this country and available from a UK breeder.

All have a reputation of producing nasty bees when you get a couple of generations from the original queen and I have experienced this with a Carnolan queen and that was not a very pleasant experience but have had no problem with Buckfast queens and for me would recommend Buckfast.

A friend has New Zealand Italians and to me it is almost impossible to get them to sting.

Carnolan bees are also gentle but they are the first to swarm and then perhaps swarm again.

I prefer Buckfast they are gentle originally developed in this country and available from a UK breeder.

All have a reputation of producing nasty bees when you get a couple of generations from the original queen and I have experienced this with a Carnolan queen and that was not a very pleasant experience but have had no problem with Buckfast queens and for me would recommend Buckfast.

I have 2nd generation carnies and first generation Buckfast carnie crosses (!) - all excellent temper (so far).

Latest posts

Back