What paint to seal wooden feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luka22

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,
we have build our own wooden feeder, but are now wondering, what paint can be used to seal the feeder from inside.

We obviously don't want to poison the girls, can anyone recommend what paint can be used for the inside of the feerder? As mentioned it's made out of wood and now needs to be sealed so that no syrup runs through into the hive. What paint is save to use?

I would like to know this one myself someone did mention gloss paint with sand mixed in

I have used good old oil based gloss and the more modern water based gloss and both have worked just fine. Remember to use the correct undercoat for the finish coat either oil or water.

One coat primer one coat undercoat and two finish coats will be a good job.

On the surface the bees walk down to get to the syrup and back again when this surface is wet with the first top coat of paint sprinkle some dry sand or sawdust on the wet paint and when the paint is dry brush off the loose sand or sawdust and simply paint over when you apply the 2nd top coat. This gives the bees a rough surface to walk up, I don’t know if they defiantly need it but it seems to help as I have noticed less drowned bees with than without. Also plenty of small twigs in the reservoir also helps.

Hi,
we have build our own wooden feeder, but are now wondering, what paint can be used to seal the feeder from inside.

We obviously don't want to poison the girls, can anyone recommend what paint can be used for the inside of the feerder? As mentioned it's made out of wood and now needs to be sealed so that no syrup runs through into the hive. What paint is save to use?
Thompsons Roof Seal, or Bitumen paint, both remain flexible and are not toxic. Maybe a bit expensive for just one feeder

Thanks for all your replies. I was wondering now, is all gloss paint safe for Bees or are there differences?

The idea with the Sand on the paint sounds great, thanks a lot for that advice.

Put inside a sheet on thin plastic folio.

Those self made feeders bring only troubles.

This miller type feeding box is 15 or 8 litres and price is 16 euros. Plastic. No leaks.

galleria.php

Last edited:
There are thousands of home made feeders in use successfully.

Just needs a bit of care, and straight cuts.

PH

... I was wondering now, is all gloss paint safe for Bees or are there differences?

Gloss paints don't generally have any wood preserver/fungicide/pesticide in the recipe. And they shouldn't have toxic heavy metals either. White pigments are possibly the safest (based on Titanium).
Some paints do have 'chemical' solvents which would likely not be good for the bees. So, whatever you use on a hive, leave it to 'weather' (outdoors/sun/rain/wind) until you can't smell paint any more. Then give it a bit longer. Bring it inside for a few days, and if there is any smell of paint, put it outside again.
Once gloss paint is fully cured and hardened, it should be fine. Water-based paints seem much quicker to me.

can you seal all the joints with wax to stop leaks before painting with gloss

Do not use wooden feeders any more, but when we did Bitumastic paint was the stuff to stop leaks, just so long as they were not terrible.

can you seal all the joints with wax to stop leaks before painting with gloss

No sorry the paint will not stick to the wax and if not at first will soon peel of.

I have no problem with sealing with wax on its own and bees wax would be the ideal but don’t mix wax and paint as it reminds me when I have produced a distressed paint finish on a new soon to look old paint job by rubbing high wear corners of the furniture with wax prior to painting and then after painting rubbing the surface with a cloth and the paint rubs off the wax giving a natural looking wear and a nice sheen.

not worthy
No sorry the paint will not stick to the wax and if not at first will soon peel of.

I have no problem with sealing with wax on its own and bees wax would be the ideal but don’t mix wax and paint as it reminds me when I have produced a distressed paint finish on a new soon to look old paint job by rubbing high wear corners of the furniture with wax prior to painting and then after painting rubbing the surface with a cloth and the paint rubs off the wax giving a natural looking wear and a nice sheen.
:smash:

Latest posts

Back