What makes a top bar hive more natural beekeeping?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pink cloud theories at work here.
Nothing concrete , casual observations don't wash.
Given enough room, bees will move onto new comb , confine them in any kind of fancy hive and bees will make the best of what they have , that they survive is no indication of the efficacy of the use of old black comb for god's sake
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pink cloud theories at work here.
Nothing concrete , casual observations don't wash.
Given enough room, bees will move onto new comb , confine them in any kind of fancy hive and bees will make the best of what they have , that they survive is no indication of the efficacy of the use of old black comb for god's sake
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try again and perhaps try being a little less rude, it doesn't make your case better to be snide.

""It's quite clear from my experience that honey bees are more than capable of using the same space for tens of years without having their comb changed for them. I have strong colonies that have never had the frames removed from their brood box for many, many years with continuous occupation so not being cleaned out by wax moth or any other means. Of course this may not produce maximum yields but I'm neither greedy nor dependent on it being a man of modest needs.""

Chris

Chris & Heidi

So presumably not affected by nasty neonics then either if colonies thriving in years old wax/colonies/homes?

Not as far as I know but as my colonies are heavy users of the crops, (sunflower, OSR and Maize), where these goodies are used, (and have been used for more than 20 years), I would expect to see colony deaths regardless of comb changing.

Chris

Latest posts

Back