What made you take up bee keeping ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toyed with the idea for twenty years but things always got in the way of my plans. Retirement and a move to "the country" proved the solution as not having to work all hours I could devote time to courses and planning. Great! I love it and wouldn't be without them. Hubby was my assistant but he's proved a natural and has more instinct with them than I have.

My Old grandfather used to keep them when i was a young lad. He had fought in both world wars and told me bees reminded him to be humble.

I grew up frightened of anything that goes Buzzz, i hate honey :eek:. But i feel drawn to look after bees for some strange reason. This is my first year as a beek and im hooked! But i still hate the taste of honey...go figure

My other (better, she reads this place) half has wanted to keep them for ages. When we moved to the countryside, she had the chance.

I quickly realised that Beekeeping was the ultimate "equipment sport", and could be used to justify all sorts of expenditure on wood working kit. Track saw? Yes dear, absolutely necessary for making a hive, and a sheet of ply is so cheap,er by the time I've built about 40 of them, we'll be saving money too. Clearly, the explanation stopped at the word "cheap".

I do like the bees, they are wonderful to watch, and you feel much more connected to what is growing and when. I'm quite partial to honey as well.

I'm another who watched Grandfather and his bees as a child, as I grew older I was allowed to turn the extractor handle (carefully) and stick labels on jars (straight - or else!), and there was always honey on the table. As an adult I've always intended to keep bees but it's not until now that I'm semi-retired and have a moderate garden that I have felt it the 'right time'.
OH showed no interest until dragged to the hive the see the first swarm pouring up the slope, but was hooked from that moment. Like you, Erica, I find OH now has more sensitivity towards the bees and seems to understand them better than I do, making very perceptive and helpful suggestions. But I get to do all the work!

I read in a gardening book that if you keep bees on an allotment, you get 20% more soft fruit. I still have the allotment, but am too busy with the bees to get around to picking any fruit!

Guy

Dad helped a famous beekeeper in the 30s, then my grandfather kept bees in the 50s. Dad and I found his old hive bits in the shed in the 70s and started to keep bees together in about 76 / 77. We both have kept bees ever since (with uni breaks for me) and now my daughters also help out as the fourth generation.

Just took a notion one day, have no idea where it came from, and previous to the idea I didnt know any beekeepers and hasnt been in my family.

Steve

doing tai chi in a village hall. during chi gung where you stand still in unnatural positions a honey bee landed on the guy next to me, he went to swat it and I reprimanded him we both got told off for moving. afterwards he told me hed just taken over from a retired beekeeper at his office, ooh, can he teach me ?? he arranged for us to meet as I was curious, got hooked after seeing his hives and how he cared for them , he didnt want to help me as he wanted time for himself so I went to classes and here I am 9 years down the line a beekeeper too ! ps gave up tai chi as the teacher was too grumpy!

there were two reasons and then a third. so here they are.
First i wanted a hive at the bottom of the garden.
Second i LOVE heather honey and couldnt get any.
And lastly i was walking around a fair and saw an observation hive and asked its owner if he had any hives for sale. he said yes. funny how 300 euro turned into almost 2000. wonder how that happened.
btw i went to pick up my FULL hive with no suit and a guy who was allergic to bees. that was a fun drive home.

Latest posts

Back