What is this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Been busy this weekend doing microscopy and thought I'd like to share some of what I did. Can you id the photos?

Once again, not entirely useful without the size/magnification/scale graticule.

A guess - a pollen grain?

O my god its not hurtling towards the earth and going to wipe us all out in a few years time is it

Cross section of penis of world's tinyest creature. It lives in crab louse's (Pthirus pubis) balls.

Last edited:
OK members
It s not pollen grains and its not finmans cross section of his penis. on second thoughts it has been extremely unfair of me to not give some indication of what it might bee. It is a cross section of a honey bees thorax, taken from a section for a microscopic slide. The slide its self was made in 1940 and it s still very good, i have infused some bees to try to copy making a section for placing onto a slide and then photographing it. Also i have macerated some bees for a full slid insertion.
I will copy it to a PPoint and write what is there for you all to see.

Mo

Here we are then, Dade shows a better description than Snodgrass.

The initial photo was X200 then i enlarged it to show more detail. Sorry I can't bee more helpful.

Mo

correction?

hate to diss Dade but unless i am very much mistaken the structure that has been labelled ganglion appears to be a tubular structure with folded/pleated lining and invested in a circular wall.

a midline thoracic structure in the immediate vicinity of the salivary glands and ventral to aorta is the Oesophagus NOT a ganglion (which would be even more ventral).

hate to diss Dade but unless i am very much mistaken the structure that has been labelled ganglion appears to be a tubular structure with folded/pleated lining and invested in a circular wall.

a midline thoracic structure in the immediate vicinity of the salivary glands and ventral to aorta is the Oesophagus NOT a ganglion (which would be even more ventral).

isn't that what Finman said?

I am in the middle of something else at present so I could be wrong if so i am sorry for missleading members but I will later dig out Insects By Imms Bee by Snodgrass And the two by Dade and try to come to a definitive reply.

Thanks drstitson its good that others are here to correct me.

Mo

Here's where I obtained my information. Dade. Plate12.
Mo

Turn the picture in Dade upside down - so you then have:

paired longit flight muscles (made up of multiple bundles each), then oeso, then salivary glands (paired), then the anonymous horizontal bits, then ganglion.

aorta is sandwiched between the 2 muscles out of view at bottom.

Yes its as clear as mud now i had the slide upside down and photographed that way. Sorry folks. drstitson may I congratulate you on your observation and knowledge of the internal organs of the bee. Please check my future work.

Mo

i've never seen any photos of bee histology. Just working from first principles.

However histology is my job and veterinary histology/pathology a hobby!!

Back