What is it.....?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iainwilk01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I've just been watching the bees returning to the hive and quite a few have pollen sacks full of something black! Any idea what it is?!

The main fields of opium poppy's are a few weeks off still but there are plenty of self seeded poppy`s around in the margins here in the the south, so plenty of black pollen coming in and has been for the last week.

I've seen the odd self seeded ones by the side of the road but not loads. Don't live far from railway line so may be loads along there. Plenty of them bringing it in so must be loads somewhere.

Last edited:
I have loads of those big poppies in the garden
The pollen is so copious it fills the flower heads with black powder. Only ever see Bumbles on it.

I have the red, very large flowered poppies and the honey bees seem to love them. I was watching five of them trying to get out of one flower - the petals tend to be incurved when the flower first opens and they seem to be very smooth and shiny. It's a bit like watching a fly trying to escape a pitcher plant!

Latest posts

Back