What is happening in Sweden?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So even that bit is nonsense? Oh well, the whole article is just clickbait then.
In the end it's nearly always advertising for some business of some sort, while using this near scientific gibberish. Many like this, they don't understand it, but they think it sounds true, so it must be true.

In the end it's nearly always advertising for some business of some sort, while using this near scientific gibberish. Many like this, they don't understand it, but they think it sounds true, so it must be true.

I really must adopt this policy to sell some carp I have...

Not sure how convinced I am... Wild bees that swarm more will be at an advantage to those that swarm less. Might explain why @Into the lions den has so much incursion from ferals.

Dont think ferals play a big part in it...though it will be some. It is more the local bee type that most beekeepers have. Drones from these stocks seem to dominate matings.

sounds like the usual rubbish generated by the usual rubbish
What absolute balderdash
Fair enough! That was my take on it but not knowledgeable enough yet to make a firm judgement. Will go with gut instinct next time.

Dont think ferals play a big part in it...though it will be some. It is more the local bee type that most beekeepers have. Drones from these stocks seem to dominate matings.

I bet that Sweden do not have feral bees. Varroa handels them even there like everywhere else.

I presume most local bees are a relatively mixed feral population but apologies for the poor choice of words/any misunderstanding on my part.

I presume most local bees are a relatively mixed feral population but apologies for the poor choice of words/any misunderstanding on my part.

As I said, there is no feral bees neither in Sweden, nor in the UK.

I assume you must be right about ferals/local bees being more or less interchangeable in term and in fact. I'm sure I've read here once or twice ;) that there are no native bees left to be found in the UK; so what else are they?

My understanding is that ferals are simply kept bees that have become unkept.

I assume you must be right about ferals/local bees being more or less interchangeable in term and in fact. I'm sure I've read here once or twice ;) that there are no native bees left to be found in the UK; so what else are they?

My understanding is that ferals are simply kept bees that have become unkept.

Something like that... Not necessarily the exact colony but descendents of escaped swarms mixing with any vestigial local population... Perhaps mongrel is a better term than feral for my intent.

As Tom Seeley said when asked about 'wild' bees during the UBKA convention.
All bees are wild, none can be classed as tamed, beekeepers just keep wild animals in boxes, but they're just as likely to leave.

Something like that... Not necessarily the exact colony but descendents of escaped swarms mixing with any vestigial local population... Perhaps mongrel is a better term than feral for my intent.

I wonder how it's possible to know the source of the drones which mate with queens when you're in an area where there are multiple sources and varieties of bee. On an assignation last June, I know that at least one of my queen bees must have met up with some drones of a different colour, but I couldn't say whose hives or which tree those drones came from.

Latest posts

Back