what is better ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i was wondering what people think is better when you first get a swarm should you put it in a nuc first or in a hive

:hurray:

Depends on swarm size, they are ready and primed to build comb so generally a good swarm should go straight in a full hive, cast swarms or small swarms maybe better in a nuc.

I have put a big swarm in a national brood box with 11 frames of foundation and a super of foundation and gone back 3 days later to find it all filled out and in need of a second super.

C B

:iagree:

been there, done both......

when a prime swarm gets going, it's frightening just how fast they draw foundation out into comb, especially when there's a really good flow on.... (similar experience to CB, a few years back).

however a smaller swarm with a tired old queen (as I had take up residence last year in an old brood box housing manky old frames, needed moving into a nuc then feeding to get going)

so it depends on judgement / size of swarm / time of year......

all the usual beekeeping variables i guess....... :D

I think it depends on what kit you have got to hand as well. If you have got a spare hive and want bees in it, it is just as well to take the hive with you and try and get the bees straight into it, as Silly Bees says. However, a hive collection might not work if the swarm is an awkward one and you will have to give some thought to sealing it up for transport home.

You might not get a big swarm in a nuc box with frames. But that same swarm might fit in something like a skep in which it will cluster.

Strip of leather hanging down from a skep on which the bees can cluster is a good idea. A swarm does not like to be spread of the wall of a container.

If you get 2 small swarms, join them.
Best is a swarm which fills 2 boxes. It is about 4 kg bees.

Smallest swarm. What i have caught was one frame.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back