What have I extracted now?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batcher

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Went to my hereford apiary and took off a super. 90% capped with no drips when given a hard shake. Uncapped and extracted. When I tranfered it to a bucket via the strainer I noticed it was very very runny. Maybe due to warmth in the house? Also, it tasted quite bitter and is a dark colour. I think I will call it 'rich' rather than bitter at market. It leaves a long after taste
Any idea what it could be?
Craig

I think it's cat pee. Dang!!!
Great wheel, thanks..

Craig - its sweet chestnut. Not everyone's cup of tea, especially the kids. Anyone who likes marmalade would probably like it because it combines sweet and bitter. I don't mind it in small doses.

You normally know when the bees are on the chestnut because when you crack open the lid you can smell the heaviness of it. I have a few supers of the stuff this year because I'm surrounded by it.

I generally blend a few frames of chestnut honey with my other frames of honey for a more complex flavour. If not blending it, sell it as "Woodland honey"!! and it's about as organic as you're ever going to get unless someone's taken to spraying sweet chestnut.

I have three batches of honey that are all different colours.

They are different flavours.

There's sweet, extra sweet, and sweet to the point of being sickly.

I agree it is probably sweet chestnut. Very strong and can feel as though it burns the back of your throat sometimes, you can't call it organic though! But I am sure you know that!
E

Thank you all. I'll go with sweet chestnut. Its as you describe. Very rich, on the bitter side and yes, it 'grabs' the back of ones throat... Thanks,
Craig.

Back