What goes in the feeder slot?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyPayne

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A couple of years ago I got my bees in the poly nucleus shown in the picture attached (but a 14 x 12 variety). I am now using it as a temporary hive as I have just forked out on two more National hives and can't afford another one.

Can somebody tell me what goes in the small slot on the side, I'm guessing it is for feeding but don't know how?

How long can I keep them in there, I notice Paynes do supers and all sorts of accessories for it

Thanks,
Tony

Attachments

• Nuc.jpg
    Nuc.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 12
You're right it's s feeder. Some people swear by then but the first and only time j used it so manybees drowned I had nightmares about it. I cut it out to give me an eight frame box. If you don't use it as s feeder block it off or the bees will build comb in it. Paynes do a top feeder which is much better. As for how long can you keep bees in it, well till its full. Then you either move them into a full size hive or put an extra brood box on top....... if you don't mind the extra bother of inspecting two boxes

A small section of plastic queen excluder fits into the slot, this is supplied in a small plastic bag along with a blanking plate and instructions with the nucs when bought new.

There is a wooden float in the feed compartment, fill with syrup and bees enter through the excluder and feed on syrup while sitting on the float.
Good idea to also seal the feed compartment, especially when feeding thin syrup, beeswax is good for sealing.

I'm with EricaHB on this one. Lost many bees through drowning despite applying paint/sand mix to give them grip and used the float - never again. If use the block as referred by Hive-maker it will keep them out. I tape over the feeder with masking tape as it's a nuisance if they enter during manipulation.

Thanks for your answers. I used the nuc about a month ago and they did indeed build comb in the feeder as it was empty, which I then spent some time cleaning out. At the moment the current artificial swarm has a frame of food to use up and I'm hoping that they will start to fill new ones on their own. If I do need to start feeing I think I'll buy the top feeder which I've seen for sale.

I always use fondant in the feeder, solves the drowning problem. My nuc never came with the plastic bag full of bits and not knowing it should have done I cut my own excluder from an on old plastic one to fit in the slot. When not using the feeder I stuff the top of the feeder area with a bit of foam and the bees don't build comb in it.
E

A handful of straw will prevent them drowning.

However, you may transfer bacteria to the syrup using straw. As the syrup is full of sugars, you don't want bacteria growing in your syrup.
Straw is the old way of doing it and some people will have no trouble with it. A better idea might be to crumple up some old chicken wire to give the bees something to hold onto. Some sort of float is a much better way though.

Never found it stays there long enough but having seen where and what bees are capable of drinking, I wouldn't be that concerned.

Latest posts

Back