What garden crops to overwinter for bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank E

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
It's that time of year when I'm planning crops to overiwnter in the garden for:

food
ground cover,
soil nutrient turnover
support of wildlife, including bees.

What do beekepers suggest for good winter / spring forage and honey?

Thanks

Last edited:
Crocus
I'm shortly to plant 2000 near the hives.

We have willow too, can you add that to your planting? Good early pollen.

Crocus

Thanks. Meant to say in the veg plots (will edit OP). Was thinking leguminous crops or brassicas, so something for me, something for the soil and something for the wildlife including bees.

I've got crocus and snowdrops in the borders for early forage (and because they look nice and were there anyway).
Don't think I could fit in any willow, other trees or massive shrubs. The neighbour has tonnes of unplanned Buddelia, they'll probably seed in my garden come time.

What do beekepers suggest for good winter / spring forage and honey? .....

Meant to say in the veg plots (will edit OP). Was thinking leguminous crops or brassicas, so something for me, something for the soil and something for the wildlife including bees.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find veg crops that flower early enough to give pollen or nectar.

You could, maybe, plant Hazel so bees could benefit from the pollen but they grow quite big and the chances are there's plenty in local hedgerows.

You could try checking a pollen chart to see what's likely to be flowering in winter or spring.

Thanks. Meant to say in the veg plots (will edit OP). Was thinking leguminous crops or brassicas, so something for me, something for the soil and something for the wildlife including bees.

I've got crocus and snowdrops in the borders for early forage (and because they look nice and were there anyway).
Don't think I could fit in any willow, other trees or massive shrubs. The neighbour has tonnes of unplanned Buddelia, they'll probably seed in my garden come time.

Forget the bees food for the winter, they will be happy with the honey and look after your own needs...

Leeks if you haven't already got them in ... still plenty of time if you can get a tray or two of seedlings. Septembe/October - Sow Aqua Dulce Broad beans for an early crop in spring (and the bees will like the flowers if the weather is fine). Buy some bare root autumn raspberries for next Autumn fruiting - Joan J is my favourite - fruited last year right through to October. The bees will enjoy those next year as well.

If you are into green leaves and the like - Chard, lots of varieties - will go on well into winter as will some Spinach, Kale, Land cress (under cloches later on), Lambs lettuce, Purple sprouting brocolli, perhaps some fast growing winter cabbage from seedlings in garden centres. Mizuna is good over winter but pretty boring to eat.

The end of august is time to get in a few seed potatoes in tubs or potato sacks as they will be ready to harvest as new potatoes at Xmas - a real luxury new potatoes with cold cuts on Boxing Day (might need protecting if a heavy frost).

Overwintering Onions have to be in by November and Garlic as well.

If your soils reasonably light you've still got time for some carrots to germinate and grow if you are quick - Nantes Frubund will overwinter well.

Good thing about winter crops is there are less pests to about to eat them (insect species that is ...deer and rabbits will eat anything in winter !).

I think that should keep you going ...

Here here ... some of mine have gone from thumb size to prize marrows in five days ! At a loss as to what to do with them ... Even the hens are turning their nose up at boiled marrow treats !!

Good year for courgettes, isn't it? Much prefer the yellow ones, v tender and none of the green bitter residue when fried, but best of all picked small and thinly sliced raw into salads, perhaps with a splash of decent vinegar first - we are consuming lots that way.
Has anyone tried drying thinly sliced courgette? Any use?

What I do is cook them up with tomatoes(have a glut of sungold....the tastiest tomato on the planet),peppers,aubergine and red onion; mediterranean style with garlic in the oven. Then blitz roughly in food processor and freeze. Makes the base of a yummy pasta sauce.

Good year for courgettes, isn't it? Much prefer the yellow ones, v tender and none of the green bitter residue when fried, but best of all picked small and thinly sliced raw into salads, perhaps with a splash of decent vinegar first - we are consuming lots that way.
Has anyone tried drying thinly sliced courgette? Any use?

Yes ... I've grown the yellow ones this year - much firmer when cooked than the mushy green ones and just so prolific I can't keep up with them. We tend to just flash fry them in slices with a little garlic and onion but we're alll getting to the courgette overload state now !

The USA do a lot more dehydrated food and they have a number of things they do with Zucchini ...

http://gnowfglins.com/2012/08/31/how-to-dehydrate-zucchini-and-summer-squash-chips-and-shredded/#

Trouble is sun drying over here is not an option, energy is expensive so oven drying is not an option and I don't have a dessicator !!

Try making one of these, both are ready to eat after just 2 days and are unlikely to last long, so make more!

I use a food processor to slice, mandolins attack my fingers.

Courgette Pickle
Slight variation on this recipe http://norfolkkitchen.b l og spot.com/2009/08/courgette-pickle.html
Approx 1.4 kg (3lb?) courgettes, thinly sliced
2 small onions, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, de-seeded and thinly sliced
2oz salt
16fl oz distilled malt or white wine vinegar
1lb sugar
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp turmeric
2 or 3 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp ground ginger

Layer the vegetables and salt, cover with cold water and leave for 2hrs.
Drain and rinse the veg.
Bring the vinegar, sugar and spices to the boil, add the veg, remove from the heat and leave for 2hrs.
Bring back to the boil and cook for 5 mins. Spoon into hot jars and seal with non reactive lids.

For larger amounts use the ratio = 1 oz sugar : 1 fl oz vinegar​

or

Courgette and dill pickle
this one came from the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/3344436/Autumn-gardening.html
for four 450g jars

3 large cucumbers (or 6 courgettes)
2 large onions

50g coarse salt
450g soft brown sugar
600ml cider vinegar

1 tbsp whole mustard seeds
a large handful of fresh dill (or fennel, if no fresh dill)

Thinly slice the cucumbers and onions. Layer with salt in a large plastic box, and weight down with a plate and some tins.
Leave it for at least four hours, then drain and rinse in a big colander to remove all salt.
Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar, then add the veg, seeds and dill. Bring to the boil.
After one minute, drain, reserving the liquid.
Boil to a syrup (which will mean boiling off around one third). Can put herbs back in after reducing.
Meanwhile, put the vegetables in sterilised jars.
Cover with hot syrup, and seal.​

(have a glut of sungold....the tastiest tomato on the planet),

I don't know - try cuban Black - even tastier, I have to get the seed sent from America though Great eh? a Russian tomato, named Cuban black and the only place you seem to be able to get the seed is in the US!!

Originally Posted by Erichalfbee View Post

Yes loads of all tomatoes here
and potatoes
and rasps
and looks like apples..
and beans

I am not complaining.

Originally Posted by Erichalfbee View Post

Yes loads of all tomatoes here
and potatoes
and rasps
and looks like apples..
and beans

I am not complaining.

But after clearing a glut of beans you may be grumbling a bit :D

It's that mariana he smokes you know..

Pargyle - chickens love raw marrow! Put a big nail through the stalk end and chop off the other end. Tie string around the nail and hang it in the coop. They will eat it inside out and get rather fetching slicked back hair during the process!

check that the bulbs have not been treated with neonicotinoids. the insecticide will appear in the pollen and nectar. there are very few bulbs which have not been treated

Crocus

check that the crocus have not been treated with neonicotinoids, the insecticide (poison) spreads to the nectar and pollen. very few bulbs are untreated

Pargyle - chickens love raw marrow! Put a big nail through the stalk end and chop off the other end. Tie string around the nail and hang it in the coop. They will eat it inside out and get rather fetching slicked back hair during the process!

I tried this with my chooks today ... brilliant, they love it. Only thing I've seen them more excited about is corn on the cob.

Thanks for that tip ...

Latest posts

Back