What frames have mid-frame self-spacers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugcheleuce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7-10
Hello everyone

Can anyone here identify the frames in the attached image? They have a self-spacer about halfway down the depth of the frame. What are these spacers called? Do you know of other frames that have them?

Thanks
Samuel

Dunno!

Are they extensions, Standard to 14X12?

Could be home made, I have not seen that type of frame before.

They appear to be SN1 frames I can't quite discern a mid frame spacer as such . There is however an add on spacer known as a ' Yorkshire spacer' ,designed for use on the heather where a fair amount of transporting across rough ground is required .
VM

Looks like some sort of rattan sides

Don’t expect it will be as draught proof as solid timber Veg but the reeds look as though they are approx 20mm thick and I suppose the bees would take care of any gaps they are not happy with.

Hello everyone

Can anyone here identify the frames in the attached image? They have a self-spacer about halfway down the depth of the frame. What are these spacers called? Do you know of other frames that have them?

Thanks
Samuel
Hi Samuel,
Frames with that type of spacing are still available in Germany - for "Kuntzsch", "Zander" and "Deutsch Normal" hives.

Regards
Reiner

Almost art...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq5ZTtNfonM"]Straw Hive Making - YouTube[/ame]

Latest posts

Back