What did you learn?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnie1uk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
What did you learn from "Hive Alive", I thought it was interesting that when flowers replace there nectar, they send out a signal to the bees they they are "charged" again.

What I learned was that experienced beeks and professors didnt give much thought about the obs hive getting cold and the bees absconding..

I learned that after watching five mins of last nights 'coast', Chris Packhams speech impedament won't be bothering me anymore.

Seriously though, I really enjoyed the programme.

Was there trick photography involved, or do bees that gentle really exist?

Of course there are: I have 7 hives and 4 nucs full of them.

In good weather, T shirt , shorts , no veil..

I didn't learn huge amounts, but some great snippets of info and predominantly beautiful and fascinating photography.

What's most interesting though was the massive number of texts/calls I had from friends and family to tell me it was on (I live in a small village and the bees are a source of huge fascination to all). Most watched it and loved it, so I think from the point of view of 'civvies', it was a great programme and good beekeeping PR.
Encouragingly too, most people I've spoken to this morning took the 'didn't know it was so involved' view, rather than rushing out to build a hive. There's also a considerable increase in advance orders for my imminent harvest!

I guess it'd be easy to criticise (and it raised a couple of light questions in my head), but overall, it was very positive stuff.

Well presented (I do love Chris Packham anyway), but also a new big fan of Prof Adam! :spy:

Looking forward to next week.

Packham is god and fair play, he didn't rush to cover up when that feral colony got fed up. What was there not to like? It was informative, some fascinating facts about bees, brilliant camera work and some wonderful scenery.
Nice work Prof Hart, looking forward to watching you get stung. ;)

I didn't really learn anything but then, it wasn't aimed at beekeepers so no real surprise there.
I did enjoy the photography and the lovely garden.
Cazza

Didn't really learn anything that stands out to me, but was eager to watch from the perspective of wanting to see my favourite animals being explained on the telly. Also noticed the perspective people took to it wasn't to rush out and get a hive themselves, but to gain an appreciation that there's a lot more to keeping bees than popping them open for the fun of it every week.

Latest posts

Back