What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old computer fan that is going to sit on the top of the stack and draw the warm air up through a hole in a crownboard, although it may be sufficient just to let natural convection do the job - I've not yet tried it with a stack of full supers. The heater has a built in thermostat and with it set at about 3/4 the aluminium tray gets to just over 35 degrees. With an empty super as the first one in the stack I reckon that should be warm enough to warm the combs ... time will tell.

My dad reckoned I should have been named Heath ... I've had form for making things out of nothing almost since I could walk.
You can get a gizmo with a ceramic heater and fan fixed together and a digital thermostat both running on 12 volts. (that Chinese place beginning with t)
I built a surround about 50mm wide of 50mm kingspan two layers deep on a langstroth size board and fixed these to the base with the heater inside and control outside, then stacked two supers on top, ( would have been as many as needed) set at 40c with a slice of foam on top for a couple of hours. perrfik. cost about a tenner and a couple of hours build. didn't need a drip tray as the frames were nicely capped.

Back