What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the uncapping slice. Gets snagged on pollen and some brood frames where there are old cocoons. However, on most cappings it's wonderful. Use it on the recommendation of a bee farmer friend locally.

I think @pargyle has tried this
How does your friend find it?
I have one and sometimes use it if I have nice straight combs. It is quite quick but not too good with wavy combs.
It is certainly less strain on the wrist as it’s a dragging motion.

I was lent one many years ago ... could not get it to work at all. I bought one of these:

It works very well when the frames are flat and even ...not so good when they are a bit lumpy. Only annoying thing is there is no thermostat to control the heat - you have to control the heat by switching it on and off. It's easy to tell when it's getting too warm but what is awkward is the toggle switch in the cable - you don't have enough hands. So, I made up a press for on, press for off, foot switch which makes life a lot easier. It's very quick uncapping with it.

Found crawling on a table in the workshop. Popped her into a glass, gave her a little honey ( tut tut) and away she flew.

eb6920bc-5e84-44e7-bd95-19e362543399.jpeg

I use one of these. Have a boiler tank part full of hot water (the big tea making ones for meetings so it keeps hot). Prop it in the water between scrapes and no problem with clogging. After a shake it dries quick and is clean ready to go again.

Cedar seconds don't seem to be lasting very long. Could be a third quality. 3? years old.

View attachment 37110

When you buy a pack of 5 supers that are third quality at the local beekeeping suppliers autumn sale not all the pieces are useable. Think I should have thrown this side out.
Always painted boxes as my first second hand boxes where pretty ugly. Use a couple of coats of Cuprinol Shades.

Latest posts

Back