What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running out of supers so I made up some brood frames to draw so more brood comb. Making frames is not easy at the moment with the foundation having the same texture as a wet dish cloth so I've put some in the fridge to see if it's easier with cool wax in the morning!

Running out of supers so I made up some brood frames to draw so more brood comb. Making frames is not easy at the moment with the foundation having the same texture as a wet dish cloth so I've put some in the fridge to see if it's easier with cool wax in the morning!
Success! Fitting wax straight from the fridge is much easier...... of course it does mean you have to be up before SWMBO to ensure the wax is out and the cheese back in before she notices! 😱

It usually only needs five or ten minutes in the fridge - after that you get the opposite issue - crackly wax. I'm lucky as the outhouse I use to make up frames is also where our freezer and second fridge is kept. the fridge being directly behind the bench so I can pop a pack of foundation in there and just reach back to remove them one by one

Testing out an idea for making sugar syrup which the better half may tolerate (been instructed to buy in syrup not make it following last year's late night kitchen disaster where the full 10L container with still warm syrup split. In the kitchen. At 2330...).

Cheap ebay aquarium pump and heater, upcycled storage box. Total materials cost between £20-25 (current prices, they were cheaper when I bought the electrical bits) including rewiring plugs. Attempting 2:1 ratio...

Attachments

• 20210814_160942.jpg
    20210814_160942.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 20210814_161027.mp4
    14.8 MB
Last edited:
Testing out an idea for making sugar syrup which the better half may tolerate (been instructed to buy in syrup not make it following last year's late night kitchen disaster where the full 10L container with still warm syrup split. In the kitchen. At 2330...).

Cheap ebay aquarium pump and heater, upcycled storage box. Total materials cost between £20-25 (current prices, they were cheaper when I bought the electrical bits) including rewiring plugs. Attempting 2:1 ratio...
I tried using a small 12v submersible pump to fill feeders rather than lifting a 25litre drum and risking spillage...... the viscosity of the 2:1 syrup was too great!

I tried using a small 12v submersible pump to fill feeders rather than lifting a 25litre drum and risking spillage...... the viscosity of the 2:1 syrup was too great!

Yes, been suspecting that may be an issue... Waiting to see later on. Thus far it's quiet but very slow!

Not sure if this is workshop worth as it only involved scissors and gaffer tape...

Repurposed an old futon mattress, to make insulation for above the crown board.

The Mattress had 3 materials, one layer of wool, one layer of cotton, and one layer of something manmade in the middle, followed by more cotton and wool. I cut them all to fit and then packaged them in cut out sections of the cover material from the mattress, taped up as you would a Christmas present.

I should probably wrap the finished 'cushions' in a bin bag or similar to stop the wildlife getting in to them.

Attachments

• IMG_20210822_104829951.jpg
    IMG_20210822_104829951.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210822_104924121.jpg
    IMG_20210822_104924121.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210822_110043542.jpg
    IMG_20210822_110043542.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 16
Working on a portable, rechargeable battery operated sublimator. Initial test of components for one design seems promising, need to build a working prototype and test.

Something which has never happened to me before, while rendering wax cappings outside using a butane burner, the end result was wax, water and honey which ended up with the texture of sand. Brought it indoors while my wife was out and rendered it again on the stove top, this resulted in a proper cake of wax. My conclusion is the butane burner didn't get up to temperature, so I will now change to propane.

My workshop today was the living room, had a play with my Dymo 450 label writer having uploaded the software/programme for it then had to wait for the latest update to upload. Played around with the set up and produced various label templates in B & W for my different apiary locations, now I can adjust Lot numbers and dates without having to order finished labels again. Also made a template for a granulation label.
Very pleased with my efforts and the simple B & W effect, I used freely available free clip art for the pics.

Last edited:
My workshop today was the living room, had a play with my Dymo 450 label writer having uploaded the software/programme for it then had to wait for the latest update to upload. Played around with the set up and produced various label templates in B & W for my different apiary locations, now I can adjust Lot numbers and dates without having to order finished labels again. Also made a template for a granulation label.
Very pleased with my efforts and the simple B & W effect, I used freely available free clip art for the pics.
Have you got some pictures ?

Knocked up a few ekes for feeding fondant.

Latest posts

Back