What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are basically 4" planks fitted to a metric 3"x2" stud frame (can't remember the mm) with a rim around but I've used the same 4"plank as the rear brace so the total mesh is reduced to mainly the brood area.

pictures

Here are some pics of the old floor and new.

With unlimited access to these nice, thick planks, I used one at front and rear of the new floor. The mesh area is reduced but still effective. Forgot to measure the rim depth but it's 14 or 15mm, about two bee spaces which works well with TBS. The 7mm entrance is achieved by moving the 'roof' of the porch forward, which has the added benefit of creating an overhang to deflect drips away from the porch; I shave a little slope on this.
I forgot to take a pic of another which uses the 4" planks as the side supports as well. There is a larger entrance porch which is nice but it gets wet in driving rain and sealing for moving is a bit more of a pain. On these two, the entrance into the porch is just over an inch in height, the bees are happy and the rain doesn't blow in. Photos don't show them but there are little wooden runners underneath to slide the inspection board in and it's a nice, convenient 13" x 12" size.
I've got others of the same design under my paynes hives, just 500mm instead of 460, far easier to use than the poly floors (which are now redundant) and no faffing with entrance blocks and mouse guards.

Attachments

• old 1.jpg
    old 1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 55
  • old 2.jpg
    old 2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 55
  • new 1.jpg
    new 1.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 54
  • new 2.jpg
    new 2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 58
I made my first triple 14x12 nuc, I'm planning on over wintering 3 queens in each one. I made it out of 18mm plywood, the only problem is that its very heavy! Then I'm not planning on moving them around. I think I'll stick to splitting nun's into two and perhaps normal hives into three.

I made my first triple 14x12 nuc, I'm planning on over wintering 3 queens in each one. I made it out of 18mm plywood, the only problem is that its very heavy! Then I'm not planning on moving them around. I think I'll stick to splitting nun's into two and perhaps normal hives into three.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2: Don't you just love auto correction !!

Mine usually changes it to nut :)

Ahh ... but do you remember what predictive text used to do in the days when mobile phones only had a numeric keypad and to text a letter you had to key the number up to three times to type a letter in ? The earliest versions of PT on some of the phones were an absolute nightmare - they remembered words (and non-words) that you had previously tapped in and entered them, along with other words the phone thought you meant, in pretty random ways !

I once sent the following text to my boss "Could you drip down my orifice when you finish mating" - what it should have said was 'Could you drop down to my office when you finish your meeting' ...

If you are broad minded and want a rib tickling laugh at some memorable gaffs - put your coffee down first !

http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/13603/the-25-funniest-autocorrects-of-dyacs-first-year/

Sorry ... way off topic ...:offtopic:

Early predictive text?
I turned mine off when ever I got a new phone.
It never bothered me that it took me ten minutes to type a message. I still use english and punctuation in them....I'm a dinosaur :)

Offered to make someone a frame for holding queen cells, so I made two. I may well graft myself this summer after purchasing a breeder queen.

Crown Boards

I failed to find any free sheets ply wood so I went to the local wood yard and bought an 8×4 sheet of 9mm exterior plywood. A very helpful guy at Merritt and Fryers in Skipton even cut the sheet up into 460mm x 460mm, saved me about an hours works measuring and cutting. We got 10 boards out of it with a little bit left over for me to make a couple of Nuc crown boards. I also bought some thin bits of wood for the edges. I’ve made the board so we have one side 9mm deep with the other side a little deeper so we can use this for treatments & feeding. The deeper side was made with off cuts we found in a skip. The boards have cost me about £3.50 each to make. Ive cut a couple of feeding holes in them too, just another 8 boards to go.

Ive a couple of pictures on my blog if anyone is interested

https://riddlesdenbees.wordpress.com/

I failed to find any free sheets ply wood so I went to the local wood yard and bought an 8×4 sheet of 9mm exterior plywood. A very helpful guy at Merritt and Fryers in Skipton even cut the sheet up into 460mm x 460mm, saved me about an hours works measuring and cutting. We got 10 boards out of it with a little bit left over for me to make a couple of Nuc crown boards. I also bought some thin bits of wood for the edges. I’ve made the board so we have one side 9mm deep with the other side a little deeper so we can use this for treatments & feeding. The deeper side was made with off cuts we found in a skip. The boards have cost me about £3.50 each to make. Ive cut a couple of feeding holes in them too, just another 8 boards to go.

Ive a couple of pictures on my blog if anyone is interested

https://riddlesdenbees.wordpress.com/

Nice pics and interesting blog. You HAVE been busy!

Latest posts

Back