What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks JBM. I know that by providing adequate space round the brood that is where they will put the pollen. It only goes in first super if there is not room in the BB. They always have pollen as close to brood as possible
I run single broods and Demarees so I get a pollen arch in the first super, they are the last supers to be removed at the end of the season and by that time they've cleared the pollen down.

Got caught on the back foot a bit this season and have spent the last two days putting some boxes together and building frames when I had time. Now I just need a half decent day to get around the colonies.

I spent a day finally finishing painting all the polynucs. I got caught out last year with so many pressed into service before I could tart them up. The only minor (ish) calamity was as I reached for a tin of paint on a shelf, I knocked another one off, it hit me in the face, cut my lip, bounced onto the floor but on the way down caught the edge of the worktop and the lid flew off, depositing about a litre of pink paint onto the floor, my stacked correx boards and varroa mesh, cardboard for smoker fuel and the wash bucket which I had just refilled. It took me over an hour to scoop up as much paint as possible and wash everything down. Bah!
Here are the two final nucs though!

View attachment IMG_7346.jpeg

I spent a day finally finishing painting all the polynucs. I got caught out last year with so many pressed into service before I could tart them up. The only minor (ish) calamity was as I reached for a tin of paint on a shelf, I knocked another one off, it hit me in the face, cut my lip, bounced onto the floor but on the way down caught the edge of the worktop and the lid flew off, depositing about a litre of pink paint onto the floor, my stacked correx boards and varroa mesh, cardboard for smoker fuel and the wash bucket which I had just refilled. It took me over an hour to scoop up as much paint as possible and wash everything down. Bah!

View attachment 40133
That's just showing off ;) What a lovely job you've done with those!!

Workshop today:
I recently bought a wooden "slant board" from Amazon - I could have made one but I'm lazy! They are intended as an exercise adjunct but I'm going to use it to tilt a settling/jarring tank with a honey gate to ease jarring.
I then drilled a couple of holes near the front edge and inserted a couple of dowels to stop the tank sliding forwards but allowing it to overhang slightly. A cord with a guyrope type adjustment clipped to the tank stops it toppling.
Here's a pic of the Amazon product, seems very well built.

Attachments

• 71ZjIGf+E1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71ZjIGf+E1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
Making uncappers in the workshop due to the folk's interest here - thanks to all . Lucky the weather is not great as it's tricky to get time for inspections so uncappers it is! Did get a window of inspecting opportunity today but they were unhappy as the flow is over for now it's a bit cooler, so did what I had to do checking status of a couple of hives before getting soaked - again.

I've been using my newly-made box-assembling jig to, err, assemble boxes. Six brood boxes. They've been getting in the way in the bee shed for ages, so now they're put together they can go somewhere else.

James

Nice job!
I presume the coloured hexagons are to aid bee orientation on the hives?
I did see some data somewhere on what colours and shapes they can tell apart, but can't remember where...
There was some research a few years ago, can't remember who/when, that came to the conclusion that most benefit was derived from colour or symbol markers located underneath the door. I may try and search that one out again.

View attachment 40133
Very pretty ... I have four that need (at least in part) painting ... Once I'm on top of the weeding and planting on ... it's top of my list (at present anyway ....). But ... The list changes daily. I managed to weed about 120m2 of patio today and now that's done it needs a powerwash ... thanks to Wilco's suggestion for a pair of these :

https://hollandscountryclothing.co....f-breathable-bib-and-brace-overalls-by-castle

At least I can powerwash myself off after doing the patio ...

I made one of those as despite also being lazy I'm tight :ROFLMAO:
Two bit of ply, two hinges, two dowels and a wedge
K ;)

In proper Blue Peter fashion, here's one I made earlier...

honey-bucket-tipper-03.jpg

In proper Blue Peter fashion, here's one I made earlier...

honey-bucket-tipper-03.jpg
I just knew you would have made one!
I posted for those less mechanically able.
Though the box my slant board arrived in specified "slant board wooden 3 angels", as I have not received the angels maybe I should send it back?

I made one of these too and if you start off jarring with the bucket at a bit of a slant rather than on the level it keeps the scum away from the tap and lets you get another 10lbs of honey out scum free before it starts to get to the tap. I generally have it tilted overnight to settle before I jar up the next morning.

Latest posts

Back