What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the picture D, i notice you used a combination of screws and nails to fix the parts together, did you know that you will likely get greater heat loss using screws, as opposed to nails.

'Scuse my ignorance, but why do screws cause greater heat loss than nails, and how much is the difference??? I am intrigued.

Thank you for the picture D, i notice you used a combination of screws and nails to fix the parts together, did you know that you will likely get greater heat loss using screws, as opposed to nails.

I'll blame my husband.... he put the screws in :icon_204-2:

'Scuse my ignorance, but why do screws cause greater heat loss than nails, and how much is the difference??? I am intrigued.

The screws are larger diameter and so are closer to the inside warm surface . Their larger cross section and surface area( both in the wood and exposed) moves more heat.
you can measure the difference in temperature between the external wood surface and the screw head.

one could argue that

1) since its a wooden hive you are losing loads of heat anyway
2)higher hive structural integrity saves more heat and more bees

Last edited:

As in Dereks post above, the threads on the screws act as cooling fins enlarging the surface area, thus cooling the hive by drawing out lots of warmth... and if the screws were loose, like sticking out a bit, it could be worse, but not sure about that, best just make sure they are well screwed from the start, even below the level of the material being used, and then top them off with some kind of insulating material like plastic wood.

Better still use nails, or even better still, just glue.

Last edited:
Emptied my box of goodies from big T's (I'm sure I only ordered a new bellows for my smoker and a box of gimp pins :D) finished of a few supers and cramped up the first of the brood boxes.

The screws are larger diameter and so are closer to the inside warm surface . Their larger cross section and surface area( both in the wood and exposed) moves more heat.
you can measure the difference in temperature between the external wood surface and the screw head.

one could argue that

1) since its a wooden hive you are losing loads of heat anyway
2)higher hive structural integrity saves more heat and more bees

Hang on a minute - this is one of the forum in-jokes isn't it? I'm new to the place, so don't have the history you old hands do. Someone please tell me screws v nails is someone taking the Michael. I thought I would be subject to derision and howling laughter, or even howls of derisive laughter, when I put that last question in... or are you all just sniggering behind your hands!!

Nope! Derek is the Jedi of all things heat (note: I didn't say Hot!!) do a search and you'll see....

OK, thanks, I think...

or perhaps I think - Let me out of here, :sos: arrrghh

of course if you use highly polished stainless stell screws they'll absorb a heck of a lot less heat than the matt black variety.
I'm a belt and braces man, I only use nails, and rubber ones at that - you have to stand to one side when hitting them though - got two black eyes from the rebound last time I did it.

Is winter a good time to take your screws out and replace them with nails?
I would be concerned that I might disturb the cluster when I knocked the nails in with my large hammer.

Latest posts

Back