What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rebuilding a home made poly roof dismantled by gales
Slowed by the three days for paint to dry.

Daughter has Covid so we all have to isolate till after Christmas day 😫 But I now have lots of free time so I finally made some underfloor entrances, i’m amazed how simple they are to make. Thankfully had all the wood waiting patiently for me in the garage, Hive stands maybe tomorrow!

PS all between making meals and giving meds to daughter of course!

Daughter has Covid so we all have to isolate till after Christmas day 😫 But I now have lots of free time so I finally made some underfloor entrances, i’m amazed how simple they are to make. Thankfully had all the wood waiting patiently for me in the garage, Hive stands maybe tomorrow!

Hope she recovers quickly and the rest of the family stay well.

A five minute mod today.

Noticed last weekend in the cooler temps that using the Sublimox was a bit slower going than in September so got some manifold wrap and used it to insulate the sides of the pan. The cage holds it neatly in place.

Will be interesting to see how it compares.

267402557_1758877280985384_1230407594949521888_n.jpg

A five minute mod today.

Noticed last weekend in the cooler temps that using the Sublimox was a bit slower going than in September so got some manifold wrap and used it to insulate the sides of the pan. The cage holds it neatly in place.

Will be interesting to see how it compares.

View attachment 29537
Never noticed that I must admit

Noticed last weekend in the cooler temps that using the Sublimox was a bit slower going than in September so got some manifold wrap and used it to insulate the sides of the pan. The cage holds it neatly in place
remember chatting about this with Damian at Abelo a few years ago - he used to carry a little blowtorch when sublimating in midwinter, just to keep the nozzle nice and hot and avoid desublimated OE from blocking it.

remember chatting about this with Damian at Abelo a few years ago - he used to carry a little blowtorch when sublimating in midwinter, just to keep the nozzle nice and hot and avoid desublimated OE from blocking it.
But I have noticed that...The nozzle gets blocked up and I have to poke it open. You'd think, being copper, it would stay hot

Getting some reclaimed boards ready to make 1-2 brood boxes(or maybe nucs- haven't decided yet). Biggest headache is to work out a solution for the part where the frames rest, without leaving too much space between the brood box and the side of the frames. 🤔

I tried a crude experiment of touching a hot gas vap to polystyrene. At normal sublimation useage temperatures the polystyrene melted but did not ignite. If the flame came into contact with the polystyrene it did ignite but with the flame shield in place this required the gas vap to be held under and close to the poly. Maybe if I'd kept the thing running until the copper became really hot it would have caused ignition? Certainly polystyrene characteristics would allow it as I googled this -
"In the absence of an energy source (pilot flame) the self-ignition temperature of melted EPS in its standard grade is 450° C. After ignition of standard grade EPS, burning will readily spread over the exposed surface of the EPS, and it will continue to burn until all EPS is consumed."
As to the extension tube clogging, I've used a wrap of fibrefax from old boiler maintenance stocks (it's a lightweight heat resistant insulation material that was developed for space shuttle heat shield tiles) but silicone tubing should also serve as heat resistant insulation so once in use the OA shouldn't condense in the tube.
Fibrefax was frequently employed as a "wicking material" in Wallflame type kerosine fuelled boilers and came in thin 20mm x 2mm thick tape on a roll. Ideal for wrapping a tube. It's also available as semi rigid sheet in thicker options.

Last edited:
But I have noticed that...The nozzle gets blocked up and I have to poke it open. You'd think, being copper, it would stay hot
It also cools very quickly, especially as it's not really close to the hear source, we were discussing it in relation to why couldn't there be a longer tube to facilitate vaping with UFE's

A second blowtorch, although rather difficult to hold, does actually work and keep the copper warm enough in cold weather - its how I managed to treat mine the other day.

My workshop is in a long ex-pig fattening shed. I didn't have any beekeeping jobs waiting so I had an hour shooting arrows at an indoor target 25 metres downrange. More practice makes more accuracy.☺️20210517_133626.jpg

Same today as when I didn't do anything in my 2 hive apiary today and every day for the past fortnight. Or maybe longer even?

You only have to isolate if you haven’t been double jabbed or have tested positive. My OH tested positive from PCR test on Saturday (lateral flow test was + on Friday). I tested negative and am doing LF tests every day. All negative so I’m able to go out.
Unfortunately means she has to isolate for 10 days so will probably be posting a Christmas pancake under the bedroom door on the 25th!

You only have to isolate if you haven’t been double jabbed or have tested positive. My OH tested positive from PCR test on Saturday (lateral flow test was + on Friday). I tested negative and am doing LF tests every day. All negative so I’m able to go out.
Unfortunately means she has to isolate for 10 days so will probably be posting a Christmas pancake under the bedroom door on the 25th!
But surely if you are in daily contact it makes sense to isolate till you are both negative or is your other half in isolation from you?

But surely if you are in daily contact it makes sense to isolate till you are both negative or is your other half in isolation from you?
Yes very sensible but not the rules. I think the rules are based on keeping as many people at work and ensuring that the country doesn't suffer from the effects of another pingdemic.

We’re in Scotland, rules are stricter. All household members need to self isolate for 10 days from when symptoms first began. We’re all doing lateral flow tests every day as well. I can go to the out apiary though as long as I avoid contact with anyone else!

We’re all triple jabbed except my daughter who was due her second, she’s the one who got Covid.

She actually did a PCR after being in contact with someone who was positive and it came back negative. We were planning to go out shopping but she didn’t feel v well so did a lateral flow which was positive, so we all did aPCR and this time hers was positive, really glad we didn’t go out the day after the PCR.

She’s also fully isolating from the rest of us as she doesn’t then want one of us to get it and it be prolonged, it’s hard as a parent not being able to do more but she wants to get back to normal life asap! Teenagers famously like staying in their rooms anyway right?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back