What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided I need another ten boxes, I refurbished a lot but looks like I won't have enough. Also just used the last of my frames and wax.

Decided I need another ten boxes, I refurbished a lot but looks like I won't have enough. Also just used the last of my frames and wax.
don't panic, Big T's are planning a seven day sale around the time the spring convention is usually held, wouldn't be surprised if the other big names jump on the bandwagon too

I was wondering how it would pan out with the WBKA convention being a virtual event. Call me fussy but I prefer to stick with Maisemore woodwork so hoping they have something lined up as well. In the meantime I can order some wax and finish the blank frames I have left.

went to see a Jedi mate to put right my "connecting my new space heater to any old gas supply will do cos I'm cold" stint yesterday and it now burns and looks like it could get us to the moon now. This will increase production this coming week. Will also try and find time to make my new router table. Design complete, now for the build.

Knocked up another of the hive stand/stores today, took me about 2 1/2 hours including sizing the timber and I worked out the cost.
18' of 9" x 5/8" cedar about £10.50
Pair of s/s hinges £1.50
2' of 18" dpc!
About £12 in material cost + £50 labour.

Knocked up another of the hive stand/stores today, took me about 2 1/2 hours including sizing the timber and I worked out the cost.
18' of 9" x 5/8" cedar about £10.50
Pair of s/s hinges £1.50
2' of 18" dpc!
About £12 in material cost + £50 labour.
I hope you get paid for the labour ... my DIY Self NEVER pays up ... :icon_204-2:

Salvaged a fair amount of wood at the farm, lots of floors to make. Simplified my UHE design to accommodate the batten size, end result is lighter but still retains the features so a big saving to be made with timber from now on.
I need more PIR sheets but builders never seem to waste that stuff around here.

Converted two Snellgrove boards into JBM-type Demarree boards by replacing the mesh with plastic queen excluder. Before & after pics

Attachments

• IMG_0233.jpeg
    IMG_0233.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0234.jpeg
    IMG_0234.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
Having re - joisted the loft to raise the floor for 300mm of extra insulation, I uplifted the existing old floor boards used. Have cut then up to size to make some new 6 frame nuc's, two t & g boards glued together is ideal for BS deep size with enough room for a batten to take the mesh for the floor.
Also have some spare 50mm PIR to make up winter cosies for them.

Made brood boxes for a bit of variation, extra nails. WOW.

Converted two Snellgrove boards into JBM-type Demarree boards by replacing the mesh with plastic queen excluder. Before & after pics
Are you planning on queen rearing with the demaree ?

I have made up a few boards, with interchangeable material to go over the open slot. Clear Perspex, mesh, QE. Each is a rectangle, drilled in one corner, and the chosen closure pivoted into place

I have made up a few boards, with interchangeable material to go over the open slot. Clear Perspex, mesh, QE. Each is a rectangle, drilled in one corner, and the chosen closure pivoted into place

Clever idea indeed, save for the perspex, you could achieve the same thing with one of the disc entrances?

Are you planning on queen rearing with the demaree ?

Yes, probably. If I get any QC I'll make much more use of polynucs than hitherto.
My problem in a nutshell is that I'm trying to scale down hive numbers from 10-12 to 5-7. Why?: SWMBO and I really find extracting 12-15 supers in the kitchen several times a year a PITA. We would pay someone £10 per super to extract and bucket the honey. Also, although roadside sales are buoyant, demand from a couple of retail outlets has declined.

Yes, probably. If I get any QC I'll make much more use of polynucs than hitherto.
My problem in a nutshell is that I'm trying to scale down hive numbers from 10-12 to 5-7. Why?: SWMBO and I really find extracting 12-15 supers in the kitchen several times a year a PITA. We would pay someone £10 per super to extract and bucket the honey. Also, although roadside sales are buoyant, demand from a couple of retail outlets has declined.
I can put you in touch with a guy that does contract extraction. He is near Tamworth though.
I could offer an extraction service but I'm normally too busy, I have processed cappings for people giving them a bucket of honey that needs filtering back and a block of rendered wax as that can be done when ever I have time.

I can put you in touch with a guy that does contract extraction. He is near Tamworth though.
I could offer an extraction service but I'm normally too busy, I have processed cappings for people giving them a bucket of honey that needs filtering back and a block of rendered wax as that can be done when ever I have time.

Thanks for that Nigel. Sadly Tamworth would be a tad too far, but a nice thought

Know anyone down this wway Nigel? I hate uncapping more than you'll ever know :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

Latest posts

Back