What did you do in the Kitchen Today ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've now racked off the raspberries, now only 5 months to wait :)

Well, I added 3lb of Honey to nearly 5 litres of bottled water, Lavlin yeast, Lavlin nutrient and raspberries. Now I have to listen to the drones.....of her moaning 'when are you gonna move that blooming thing' :lurk5:

She wasn't too happy when I said May 24th

I made soap, using some of my beeswax and honey. Much nicer then anything from the shops.

I made soap too. And jolly good soap it is too.

Also today I need to melt yet more honey from my buckets and jar it. I have a sign on my door saying local honey for sale. As I'm opposite a big park there are many peeps passing and word has been spreading. I'm up and down like a yo yo answering the door for honey buyers. My honey money pot is pleasantly full :)

beginning to think I actually will sell it all - a task I felt nigh impossible when I started off with no customers atall.

I emptied the dishwasher, yep, me again!

Perhaps,

But can you load it efficiently so it cleans everything fully??? :smilielol5::smilielol5:
:gnorsi:
I made soap, using some of my beeswax and honey. Much nicer then anything from the shops.

My Wife used to sell her soap to the National Trust, they got through loads of it, boasting it contained beeswax from "local Honey Bees"!

Then, Helen Gosh & her cronies said we were no longer "local" & insisted she sold it to them at less than it cost her to make it, (I didn't charge for the beeswax), so they could add £4.50 and collect a massive >300% profit. :sifone:

Last edited:
Best thing I have made in my smart still is apple brandy.

Errrr. Is that legal? My understanding was that customs took a dim view of home distilling - has something changed?

Errrr. Is that legal? My understanding was that customs took a dim view of home distilling - has something changed?

No ... any form of distillation of alcohol - by heat or freezing off the water to increase the alcohol content is illegal throughout the EU unless you have a licence. A licence will only be granted if there is a commercial need and you won't get one for home consumption under any circumstances.

Not sure when anyone was last prosecuted - or indeed caught for distilling for personal use but the law's there and you risk a hefty fine and the equipment being confiscated if they decide to make an issue of it.

Fortunately, our resident former customs and excise member is currently taking a sabbatical otherwise the cat could be out of the bag !!

I've just barrelled a woodfordes wherry brew kit. Tasted it before and it was lovely

No ... any form of distillation of alcohol - by heat or freezing off the water to increase the alcohol content is illegal throughout the EU unless you have a licence.

Yes it is but strangely enough you can freely buy the kit to do it

Yes it is but strangely enough you can freely buy the kit to do it

Occasionally, in the past, I've made the mistake of leaving one of my higher octane brews accidentally in the freezer in a polythene bottle to chill it and it part froze - of course, not wishing to waste the residue left I separated out the rubbish from the frozen water and just added it in to a brew that didn't get accidentally put in the freezer. It added significantly to the 'flavour' although it rather affected my memory a little......

Did I say Brandy? I meant Shandy. A lovely Apple Shandy!:calmdown:

I get soap recipes from the internet. I stick to things that use beeswax and/or honey and no animal fats or palm oil.
Take care with that caustic and follow the safety information. Nasty stuff. I don't answer the door or the 'phone while using it. I shut the cat out as well, just in case of a mishap.

No ... any form of distillation of alcohol - by heat or freezing off the water to increase the alcohol content is illegal throughout the EU unless you have a licence. A licence will only be granted if there is a commercial need and you won't get one for home consumption under any circumstances.

Not sure when anyone was last prosecuted - or indeed caught for distilling for personal use but the law's there and you risk a hefty fine and the equipment being confiscated if they decide to make an issue of it.

Fortunately, our resident former customs and excise member is currently taking a sabbatical otherwise the cat could be out of the bag !!

you ommited vacuum distillation ... it avoids the creation of nasty stuff if you keep the brew cool but then you need ice or a freezer for the condensor

Occasionally, in the past, I've made the mistake of leaving one of my higher octane brews accidentally in the freezer in a polythene bottle to chill it and it part froze - of course, not wishing to waste the residue left I separated out the rubbish from the frozen water and just added it in to a brew that didn't get accidentally put in the freezer. It added significantly to the 'flavour' although it rather affected my memory a little......

14 days thinking about that... APPLEJACK !

Yeghes da

I get soap recipes from the internet. I stick to things that use beeswax and/or honey and no animal fats or palm oil.
Take care with that caustic and follow the safety information. Nasty stuff. I don't answer the door or the 'phone while using it. I shut the cat out as well, just in case of a mishap.

Thanks, Harley

Back