What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting as I bought in 3 queens earlier in the season and I can’t say i am over impressed with them. My homies are much gentler and calmer and just as productive.
My girls like yours are remarkably tolerant. It has always been a worry that any incomers could bring with them problems. Even a swarm that arrived in the rain on my gazebo roof has the same traits even though they are clearly a different strain of bee. I am starting to think local drones play an important factor beyond the obvious. Bringing in virgins will test my theory.

My girls like yours are remarkably tolerant. It has always been a worry that any incomers could bring with them problems. Even a swarm that arrived in the rain on my gazebo roof has the same traits even though they are clearly a different strain of bee. I am starting to think local drones play an important factor beyond the obvious. Bringing in virgins will test my theory.
Except for the fact that, by introducing your 'foreign' VQs you'll effectively be helping to dilute the characteristics of the local drone pool, given that the male progeny of those VQs will comprise solely imported genetic material.

Double edged sword, I guess. Over the years, I have had many goes at bringing different strains into my apiary, to try and 'improve genetic diversity' and promote 'hybrid vigour'.

Experience has led me to conclude that's just a total waste of time and money for a hobbyist like me. Bee characteristics were patchy.

Now I just keep 'local' bees, and all is good and stable.

Given the length of time bees have thrived on these isles, nearby DCAs must already be serving up sufficient diversity (plus, locally adapted genetics).

Unless you're in the business of attaining the 'perfect bee' or chasing huge honey yields, I now don't see the point. In fact, my two best honey harvests have come since I stopped t*tiing around with buying in Q's, but have instead focused on the health of the bees I have.

Good luck with your trials! I'll be keeping an eye out for the results of your local matings of those brought-in Queens. 👍

Except for the fact that, by introducing your 'foreign' VQs you'll effectively be helping to dilute the characteristics of the local drone pool, given that the male progeny of those VQs will comprise solely imported genetic material.

Double edged sword, I guess. Over the years, I have had many goes at bringing different strains into my apiary, to try and 'improve genetic diversity' and promote 'hybrid vigour'.

Experience has led me to conclude that's just a total waste of time and money for a hobbyist like me. Bee characteristics were patchy.

Given the length of time bees have thrived on these isles, nearby DCAs must already be serving up sufficient diversity (plus, locally adapted genetics).

Unless you're in the business of attaining the 'perfect bee' or chasing huge honey yields, I now don't see the point. In fact, my two best honey harvests have come since I stopped t*tiing around with buying in Q's, but have instead focused on the health of the bees I have.

Good luck with your trials! I'll be keeping an eye out for the results of your local matings of those brought-in Queens. 👍
I agree. I only bought some in spring as I lost several colonies over winter and needed to build up quickly without the expense of buying several nucs. The only exception was a queen from Paynes (Roger and Becky now trading as R & R Bee Company doing nucs and queens only) - that queen is great and has also produced some lovely daughters - but these are bred in Sussex so kind of local for me.

I agree. I only bought some in spring as I lost several colonies over winter and needed to build up quickly without the expense of buying several nucs. The only exception was a queen from Paynes (Roger and Becky now trading as R & R Bee Company doing nucs and queens only) - that queen is great and has also produced some lovely daughters - but these are bred in Sussex so kind of local for me.
You should have bought one of my nice cheap nucs at the auction. 😉

I completely agree with much of that. The caveat being that much of the introduction is being carried out by those who surround us and commercial beeks in particular making them the major determinants of the gene pool when their intended queens supercede My only imports, when I say imports I mean outside my region not country, will be as close to native amm as possible. For me this is also a hobby, or more accurately a distraction. I put syrup in a stone filled feeder from time to time away from my girls and it is interesting to see the variety of bees it attracts, sort of let's you know who is in your patch

Latest posts

Back