What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've finally turned a corner in Highland. Taking a few capped frames off the hives now and all are busy and happy. Not for want of serious worry and intervention 😱. Two months ago it looked like it was all over, drone laying or missing queens, hungry bees, etc. Only 1 nuc is still struggling and they got a new BS buckfast queen today, so should have time to build up for winter.
They are much hardier than I would have guessed. For as much work going on in the honey supers these last few weeks, they have obviously been flying in the rain and gale force winds, because we have had nothing but, for months.

We've finally turned a corner in Highland. Taking a few capped frames off the hives now and all are busy and happy. Not for want of serious worry and intervention 😱. Two months ago it looked like it was all over, drone laying or missing queens, hungry bees, etc. Only 1 nuc is still struggling and they got a new BS buckfast queen today, so should have time to build up for winter.
They are much hardier than I would have guessed. For as much work going on in the honey supers these last few weeks, they have obviously been flying in the rain and gale force winds, because we have had nothing but, for months.
I performed a quick check this morning and found two hives had fully sealed full supers. Out came the tea towel and bee-quick and I swapped the subsequently clear supers for a couple I emptied about ten days ago. I'll extract this evening when it cools down. What I have noticed this year is an unusually clear and runny product despite the OSR fields surrounding us in the springtime. Every other year it's rare for any of my honey not to set in a couple of days in the bucket.

I’ve had colony’s like that bees covering the front of the hive orientating climbing up then taking off turning around to face the hive then circling around up in a spiral and then taking off in a direction then some time later come back, we this season marked around 20 workers in three hives yellow they were in the supers and then a week later watched some of them orientate.
As I said you would think they were preparing to swarm in the video, but it’s classic orientation.
@Roger.Wilco

What about young bees above the QX in the supers helping with honey storage. though. Hate to think of them crawling out and not being able to fly back.

They know where they live and they can fly
Bees orientate very early in their lives. How do you think nurse bees ( which are even younger) go with a swarm?

Yes and yes
I have two on the go overnight.
Checked two colonies today, removed a brood box from one and added a brood box to another.
Then, chickened out and put a clearer board under a single super, “conventionally “

Next time there’s multiple supers on a single hive, I’ll try to muster the courage to try the “off hive” method…….

Checked two colonies today, removed a brood box from one and added a brood box to another.
Then, chickened out and put a clearer board under a single super, “conventionally “

Next time there’s multiple supers on a single hive, I’ll try to muster the courage to try the “off hive” method…….
Cleared another six off today. A few more bees in them but it did rain yesterday late afternoon.

Bees orientate very early in their lives. How do you think nurse bees ( which are even younger) go with a swarm?
or go for their daily dump?
This myth about nurtse bees not being able to fly really need to be dispelled - same as the nonsense about laying workers.

How far from the original hive?
I put them next to the colony they came from. My stands take four hives but I usually position only one at each end leaving space to work on the stand. As others have mentioned you can mix supers so anywhere in the apiary would do. Remember though. They are not going to clear very quickly if it's raining. A nice sunny morning should have them empty in 24 hours ........and NEVER porters. Use a rhombus

or go for their daily dump?
This myth about nurtse bees not being able to fly really need to be dispelled - same as the nonsense about laying workers.
Yes...this teaching persists in some quarters. I wish folk would move with the times.

As of this morning, I'm in the BFA!

For me this is a milestone and was one of my goals for 2024. Thanks to all on this forum, beekeepers, bee farmers or neither, who have contributed to my beekeeping journey in any form - including through challenging my views - and thus helped me get this far. You have been a blessing to me.

For me this is a milestone and was one of my goals for 2024. Thanks to all on this forum, beekeepers, bee farmers or neither, who have contributed to my beekeeping journey in any form - including through challenging my views - and thus helped me get this far. You have been a blessing to me.
Well done,thoroughly deserved I'm sure I've enjoyed reading your contributions on the forum and hopefully will still do so if your commitments allow you the time
John

Yes...this teaching persists in some quarters. I wish folk would move with the times.
Just a question on the nurse bees if they haven't been out of the hive and orientated how do they know which hive is theirs ,I can accept next to the hive they may be attracted by queen pheromone, but if placed away from the hive and has mixed supers on how do they navigate to their respective hives. Also you saw bees flying to the hive but how do you know they are not worker bees ,This is out of curiosity and I shall give this a go next season ,every day is a new learning day 😀
John

Just a question on the nurse bees if they haven't been out of the hive and orientated how do they know which hive is theirs
they go out and orientate within days of emergence, the ones who have never been out are so young, they also will not have been left up into the supers.

Just a question on the nurse bees if they haven't been out of the hive and orientated how do they know which hive is theirs ,I can accept next to the hive they may be attracted by queen pheromone, but if placed away from the hive and has mixed supers on how do they navigate to their respective hives. Also you saw bees flying to the hive but how do you know they are not worker bees ,This is out of curiosity and I shall give this a go next season ,every day is a new learning day 😀
John
What JBM says.

Would have congratulated you in person but unfortunately I'm not in the Farnborough office tomorrow. Hope your stall in the Café does well!

Hello!

I recently harvested some delicious comb honey from two of my hives and the majority of my bees are faring decently. However, a question of mine is what do I do with deep frames of comb that have gotten infested with wax moth larvae and webs? Do I burn them, simply put them in a hive at a later date, or what? Also, I have never had this issue before especially with the deep boxes of frames stored open and in the light.

Latest posts

Back