What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of interest, was the sting site on a small vein? I recently read a report detailing the different reaction to the venom if injected into flesh or muscle, or a vein. The immune system goes into warp speed if the venom is injected into the blood stream.
Does that make sense to the medics on here?
I once had a sting on the neck, my eyes were suddenly sensitive to light, developed hives and became wheezy. A nurse I spoke after driving home said the sting probably went straight into a vein.

Out of interest, was the sting site on a small vein? I recently read a report detailing the different reaction to the venom if injected into flesh or muscle, or a vein. The immune system goes into warp speed if the venom is injected into the blood stream.
Does that make sense to the medics on here?
Intravenous venom will be more likely to cause a rapid systemic reaction. Odd the foot is so swollen though as that indicates venom locally in the skin. A bit of each is always possible of course. The description does sound like allergy though (not everyone gets wheezy).

Saw the doctor this morning, apparently I satisfy more than what is required for further investigation. Have to have training how to use an epi pen, have to wait a month for a blood test if that proves positive I am then referred to an immunologist!!!!! Just for a blinking sting which was my fault not wearing the right footwear.

You had a systemic reaction. The site of the sting is irrelevant. Totally agree with your GP.
before further tests and possibly consultation with immunology, if you need to look at bees, make sure you are fully kitted, have taken an antihistamine, have your phone and a buddy with you, and also the epipens. Might just be a one off. Patience. Hope you continue to enjoy the bees
Dr. Ex

I went to add fondant to 4 poly nucs I’m over wintering at a friend’s apiary. I got a shock on arrival because the willows behind my nucs have been given quite a radical haircut! They used to be as tall as the ones at the back. My nucs are the 4 to the right.
You’ll notice how dark my bees are which is the norm up here. Some of us have bees that are over 90% AMM. They have been tested but that’s another story!
Weight wise the nucs hardly needed the fondant and it’s usually about the start of May before the bees will be moved into full sized hives. Finally green slugs seem to like over wintering in my hives and I had to remove 7 from the top of one nuc today 😡

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpeg
    IMG_0097.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0086.jpeg
    IMG_0086.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0090.jpeg
    IMG_0090.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Frightened the life out of me to be honest
30 years ago my reaction got progressively worse to the point I was advised to stop. I found a paper in the Moir library up here advising 2 piriton and an aspirin 30 minutes before grasping your bee. To be completed each spring. I did this for a few years, after that I barely see a reaction even now.
I mentioned to a few people in the past, but their medical advisors suggested it was madness, so ?

30 years ago my reaction got progressively worse to the point I was advised to stop. I found a paper in the Moir library up here advising 2 piriton and an aspirin 30 minutes before grasping your bee. To be completed each spring. I did this for a few years, after that I barely see a reaction even now.
I mentioned to a few people in the past, but their medical advisors suggested it was madness, so ?
For a couple of years I would take 1 piriton but haven't heard about aspirin before looking at the bees. If I forgot to take them beforehand and got stung and started coughing, I took 2 piriton. The reason for the expression of madness would be the possible damage to the liver.

I assume the aspirin was taken as an anti-inflamatory?

Is there any significant risk with taking it in small, irregular doses? My understanding is that paracetamol is ok as long as you don't exceed the liver's ability to metabolise it (though it may have other issues), but I have no idea whether the same applies to aspirin.

James

You had a systemic reaction. The site of the sting is irrelevant. Totally agree with your GP.
before further tests and possibly consultation with immunology, if you need to look at bees, make sure you are fully kitted, have taken an antihistamine, have your phone and a buddy with you, and also the epipens. Might just be a one off. Patience. Hope you continue to enjoy the bees
Dr. Ex
My partner takes an immune system suppressive drug tocilizumab. Do you know if this type of drug alters a persons response to bee stings?

We had a talk the other year at our branch with an immunologist from the NHS in Birmingham. They said pretty much if you get stung and it swells up in the area the size of a football don't worry. If you get a reaction anywhere remote to the sting diall 999.

Seems that a local reaction is fine, remote to the sting area then it's a major concern.

Dr. Ex

Not so. Very similar for cetirizine and fexofenadine. Peak effect around 1-2hrs
Doctor said that the one cetirizine is strong enough as I asked if there was anything stronger!!

Latest posts

Back