What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday and I got my main apiary which is quite exposed ready for winter. Mostly Smith hives and three Abelo 12 frame poly hives that I’m over wintering for the first time. The bricks came from redundant storage heaters and are very heavy which are much needed up here, I hope I don’t have to add a third! Also I’m trying out insulation above my Smith crownboards for the first time.
It was the middle of the day and a few bees were flying and bringing pollen in so I had a quick peep under the crownboards but none of my hives are as strong as some of the photos on this thread so I’m a little bit jealous. No varroa here YET so no need to open the hives apart for winter fondant until next spring. I will post my thoughts so far on the Abelo hives on a different thread.

Attachments

• 21D2B916-371D-47A7-BE0F-AB6AD579EDFB.jpeg
    21D2B916-371D-47A7-BE0F-AB6AD579EDFB.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 71
  • 008A61F1-D032-4067-85C4-2E6F77971535.jpeg
    008A61F1-D032-4067-85C4-2E6F77971535.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Sunday and I got my main apiary which is quite exposed ready for winter. Mostly Smith hives and three Abelo 12 frame poly hives that I’m over wintering for the first time. The bricks came from redundant storage heaters and are very heavy which are much needed up here, I hope I don’t have to add a third! Also I’m trying out insulation above my Smith crownboards for the first time.
It was the middle of the day and a few bees were flying and bringing pollen in so I had a quick peep under the crownboards but none of my hives are as strong as some of the photos on this thread so I’m a little bit jealous. No varroa here YET so no need to open the hives apart for winter fondant until next spring. I will post my thoughts so far on the Abelo hives on a different thread.
That's a lovely looking row of hives.....next stop spring.

That's a lovely looking row of hives.....next stop spring.
Not really most of the Smith hives need smartening up. Another Abelo hive that I bought in their sale arrived last week but it was too late to swap it over. My smaller apiary is a little bit smarter. As far as next spring goes I’m already fretting about my first inspections!

Removed the mouse guards as the bees are struggling to get through with the huge pollen bags.
We haven't put ours on yet for that same reason, so busy when the sun comes out

Sorted out the back garden hives today.

Feeders off and mouseguards on five poly nucs and one late swarm in a full box.

One of the nucs and the swarm still felt a bit light so I've added fondant to them.

Will pick up the insulation on Wednesday so will get all the full hives a slab of insulation on top and wrap the forest apiary to protect against woodpeckers.

Playing with new way of distribution of qcells I ended up with surplus of mated queens till quite recently.. Renewed stock, only couple oldies for breeding left, the rest are fresh new queens.. From now on this will include in ordinary practice.. Frosts now are more frequent, it is time for them anyway, day temps 10-14C..

Had a catch up phone call from a local beekeeper in the next village this morning. His queens from Ceri have been gorgeous and very productive, no gloves, no smoke so he raised a couple of queens from them.
There you go Ceri, he told me these are the nicest bees he has ever had and he is eighty with over fifty years keeping bees.
The three queens I gave him are now heading nice strong colonies in his Dadant hives, he took a bumper crop and he is looking forward to next year.
I was thrilled to bits to hear the enthusiasm in his voice.

Had a catch up phone call from a local beekeeper in the next village this morning. His queens from Ceri have been gorgeous and very productive, no gloves, no smoke so he raised a couple of queens from them.
There you go Ceri, he told me these are the nicest bees he has ever had and he is eighty with over fifty years keeping bees.
The three queens I gave him are now heading nice strong colonies in his Dadant hives, he took a bumper crop and he is looking forward to next year.
I was thrilled to bits to hear the enthusiasm in his voice.
Super nice to read that Steve 👍

All colonies hefted ( screwed to the deck .😀😀.)
varroa inspection trays inserted .
insulation inserted under the roofs .
couple of bricks on each roof . All snug .
the bees were working Ivy like crazy .
It was like a summers day . Sunshine 17° C
Next working visit will be around Christmas/ Newyear for a vaping session !

Latest posts

Back