What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a quick peek at the 12 nucs I made up on Friday and all bar one flying well. That may require a bit of additional brood/bees when I next visit the out apiary as I don't have any left at home. Fingers crossed for good mating weather!

Jarred up some honey, some sold already.

Apidea I made up on the Tuesday 19th, and I think I put it outside on the Sunday 24th as we were having bad winds esp on the Saturday; pulled a frame today and seen eggs in an entire frame; so less than a week to mate and lay seems very fast?

Moved my four grafts into my honey warming cabinet; placed cages around them and put in a wet sponge for humidity.

Did inspections on 18 colonies today started snelgrove on 2 the rest il be pulling nucs out of as there all on 2,3and 4 supers and some jammed brood boxes , checked on queen building colony 7 nice ripe cells also be getting 5 new queens in post this week so lots of nucs to sort

Moved a swarm from a Nuc to my new hive for the first time. Felt like a total rookie, which i am.

Inspected 3 recently made up Nucs, 2 doing really well, one Q seen but taking an age to draw out frames, will steal some from other nucs when strong enough,
Then removed push cages to release 2 new queens into the main hives, all OK :)

Queens arrived today 2 weeks to the day since being posted. Luckily all 10 had survived, gave water. 2 were for someone else, made up 7 nucs and re queened a queen less colony.

Did inspections on rest of home apiary hives. Really should go feed the nucs now.

Made and painted some underfloor entrances.

Intervened with few test frames. One really is qless, you can hear despair in their buzzing.. The other two.. better safe than sorry.. Anyway, all these queens are temporary.. Will replace them with ones I will grow in breeders.. I wait little more till weather is more stable and other obligations I solve before..
Forage is finished I believe, maybe with some miracle honeydew surprise, but nah..
It is pretty cold, around 20C the most. When little sun occur bees pour out like they are swarming..

Attachments

• sun.jpg
    sun.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 41
Queens arrived today 2 weeks to the day since being posted. Luckily all 10 had survived, gave water. 2 were for someone else, made up 7 nucs and re queened a queen less colony.

Did inspections on rest of home apiary hives. Really should go feed the nucs now.

Made and painted some underfloor entrances.

Good grief! Where from?

Came from Woompawoompaland as some call it but from the continent.

Did a dry run the previous month where they sent 8 cages and those took 6 days which on that basis I was happy to proceed, sort of had given up hope last Monday when tracking showed they hadn't moved.

Came from Woompawoompaland as some call it but from the continent.

Did a dry run the previous month where they sent 8 cages and those took 6 days which on that basis I was happy to proceed, sort of had given up hope last Monday when tracking showed they hadn't moved.

Were they from same place as last years?

Finished my "teach yourself grafting on a diy basis using a chinese grafting tool"

From 20th May to now I have conducted 8 sets of grafting sessions - no more than 8 grafts at a time.

Went from 0 succeses out of 8 grafts to 1 out of 8, then a lapse to zero twice, then two, then three, then four.

I can graft!

Why did I not try it years ago? It's easy

(with the right tool. lighting and 2x magnification)

Finished my "teach yourself grafting on a diy basis using a chinese grafting tool"

From 20th May to now I have conducted 8 sets of grafting sessions - no more than 8 grafts at a time.

Went from 0 succeses out of 8 grafts to 1 out of 8, then a lapse to zero twice, then two, then three, then four.

I can graft!

Well done, I think every beekeeper should have a go, it's a huge step forward or it was for me. I share the eyesight problems though!

I can graft!

Great stuff.

Graft +3 days and 0 from 10 here. And the hive is distinctly pissed off by all the disturbance. Trying another 10.
Had 10 from 18 last year. Back to the books!!
Thanks for posting those links.

. . .. Ben

Nothing in the apiary but jaring honey today..
Why is it that some say the darker the honey the better the aroma flavour its not quite true
02b1840864838a48861864abf3599f66.jpg

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Great stuff.

Graft +3 days and 0 from 10 here. And the hive is distinctly pissed off by all the disturbance. Trying another 10.
Had 10 from 18 last year. Back to the books!!
Thanks for posting those links.

. . .. Ben

Practise..

Checked my last try (yesterday),
3 out of 7 accepted.

I can live with a 40% success rate..

Nothing in the apiary but jaring honey today..
Why is it that some say the darker the honey the better the aroma flavour its not quite true

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

I reckon you need some new scales .. two of those jars look a tad underweight to me ! :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::sorry:

Shook out the LW colony yesterday. Washed and scorched the brood box. Destroyed the old wax which was full of double larvae etc. Fresh foundation on clean frames added. Not taking any chances this time.

Welcomed a swarm of beautiful little black bees. They are very different to the ginger ones in the other hive, who despite swarming already this year are messing around. Will check in a few days and transfer the ginger queen to a nuc if the queen cells are developed further. Transferring the queen to a nuc is my only option as I don’t have enough kit.

Out of curiosity, can you re queen a ginger colony of bees with a black queen? Or do I need to keep them as separate entities?

Back