What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Millet, Thorn and B+ for your your comments regarding the loss I my queen. The nuc was from a small August swarm last year which I supplemented with several frames of brood from strong hives and seemed to build up well for the winter.
I lost the queen in October and thought I would have to unite with another colony but my treaching apiary came to the rescue with a late spare queen that became available so I know they didn't superceed.
When they lost their queen recently they tried to produce emergency cells which were small and of course futile so I broke them down and united with another queen right nuc.
Fingers crossed they boost that nuc. 😊

Moved 2 hives from my back garden to their new home just down the road - to a place with no human neighbours to worry about them. Never moved a hive before. Hope they didnt mind the travel too much.

Nosed around my 4 colonies yesterday after a few months away.

One colony in a real bad way... floor just a mountain of dead mouldy bees :(

This was the colony that kept having what appeared to be CBPV during the season - a few times it had a pile of dead bees in front of the entrance. I guess all cramming in there for winter was just too much for them. I scraped the floor out with a bamboo stick and got the feeling there is a skeleton crew left in the hive. But I think essentially the end of that colony.

Hope I can get a clear idea of the cause of death so there's not too much dilemma weather to re use the kit and frames, clean, or destroy :(

Other 3 hives seem to be healthier (at least they have nice clean floors!), and on a more positive note, all the frames of drawn comb I stored in a broken freezer seem to be totally absent of wax moth damage! So, small mercies... I just hope I have some healthy colonies to give them to!

(freezer fridges rather than freezes, and also frames treated with Certan)

Looking forward to to the season... wanted to put fondant on the other hives today... but it bloody snowed and is COLD!

Hope you are all well out there... drive safe!

BJD

Last edited:
Popped up to the apiary to see how the hives were in the latest episode of snow, the Nucs had to have the snow cleared from the entrances, the hives were fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2545.jpg
    IMG_2545.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Millet, Thorn and B+ for your your comments regarding the loss I my queen. The nuc was from a small August swarm last year which I supplemented with several frames of brood from strong hives and seemed to build up well for the winter.
I lost the queen in October and thought I would have to unite with another colony but my treaching apiary came to the rescue with a late spare queen that became available so I know they didn't superceed.
When they lost their queen recently they tried to produce emergency cells which were small and of course futile so I broke them down and united with another queen right nuc.
Fingers crossed they boost that nuc. 😊

Good luck with them and good luck in the coming season..;)

Today while I was pruning, peeked into hives to see how they work the fondant.. Only nylon left.. so had to make pause with pruning and give another batch of fondants.. Some are full box of bees already.. I think I don't have to worry about queen rearing candidates..
Today day temp about 4C wet, fog..

Before the cold snap, went into one colony that was a late season unite which did not have anything on the varroa board when last checked for mites. At the time all other colonies were rearing brood by the look of it. Colony in better shape than expected saw stores and one frame of brood. Closed up and removed empty bottom box. It purportedly was queenless, so can't wait to see if it is my old marked queen or a new one coming through?

Before the cold snap, went into one colony that was a late season unite which did not have anything on the varroa board when last checked for mites. At the time all other colonies were rearing brood by the look of it. Colony in better shape than expected saw stores and one frame of brood. Closed up and removed empty bottom box. It purportedly was queenless, so can't wait to see if it is my old marked queen or a new one coming through?

If you saw brood, you had a queen and hopefully still have ( unless she has been injured/killed during inspection.) I open hive tops to take a look but don't move frames until April.

I did not expect them to be in good shape thereof the look. Sorry, did not make myself clear, I united +Q nuc with late supersedure that purportedly did not get mated. Tried 2 test frames but inconclusive IMHO could not see a queen nor any signs of laying workers. I do expect to see my old marked Q, but with bees you never know for sure. That's about how exiciting it gets at the moment. I am glad I went in, now I know they are ok for stores, brood and reduced unnecessary space.

Re: should have done yesterday...
I didn't recheck fondant levels on two colonies a week ago & now am worried because of the cold & snow. I should have made time! I'm learning that beekeeping is very much a "do it now" business.

I didn't recheck fondant levels on two colonies a week ago & now am worried because of the cold & snow. I should have made time! I'm learning that beekeeping is very much a "do it now" business.

Quite the opposite if you check the weather and heft the hives or weigh them regularly, i don't recall touching any of mine in the last fortnight but prior to that they weighed quite a bit.

3 hives all flying today, going on the heather in the garden. I want to open and see how they doing but its about 5 with a cold wind, I'm so fed up with this cold weather. :hairpull:

Lots of pollen going n 1 hive... some really white, anybody know what could be?

The other hive no movement in or out.. poppd hhe roof for a second.. there alive eating tje fondant.. maybe they are a bit softer than the other hive and need it warmer

Lots of pollen going n 1 hive... some really white, anybody know what could be?

The other hive no movement in or out.. poppd hhe roof for a second.. there alive eating tje fondant.. maybe they are a bit softer than the other hive and need it warmer

Possibly Heather.

Hefted all the hives ready for the cold snap. One dead out, 3 gone in total. Bit hit and miss as to which colonies have eaten the pollen sub. A couple have eaten all the fondant (reasonable weight) but not touched the sub.

Hefted all the hives ready for the cold snap. One dead out, 3 gone in total. Bit hit and miss as to which colonies have eaten the pollen sub. A couple have eaten all the fondant (reasonable weight) but not touched the sub.

Is there ANOTHER cold snap on the way?!

Hey there Guys and Gals! Just snuck in for a foray through the posts. Glad to see the regulars, I remember, are still posting. Had some time away from here. Some sad times. However...can't keep the Ole Gal down...so I'm back. Brace yourselves!

Latest posts

Back