What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Observed the entrances - poly nuc bees flying in numbers and pollen going in. Buckfast hive fairly active but mainly a relaxed sort of affair. Third hive - locally bred queen - hardly any activity. Last week gave these girls more fondant,so probably can't be bothered to go out. I am often struck by how different each colony is, given they stand side by side in the same garden.

Busy today but more steady busy rather than hectic lots of orange pollen coming in. Not wanting to jinx it but think it's safe to say I've got my first nuc through my first winter 😁

Made 2 new hives for a colony in a nuc that is bursting at the seams, and another colony in my swarm collecting brood box which I want back.

Bees out and about between the rain. They're collecting lots of water.

Busy today but more steady busy rather than hectic lots of orange pollen coming in. Not wanting to jinx it but think it's safe to say I've got my first nuc through my first winter 😁

( like button) I hope your :serenade: your bees!

Bees from all four hives flying and loads of pollen going in. Mild day (13C) so removed nadired supers/shallows from the 2 hives overwintered that way. Quick look in each hive showed 6-7 seams of bees and 3-4 frames of stores. (Autumn feeding had been supplemented by ivy nectar by the smell).
Happy now to wait for warm days before first inspections.

The last two days were warm for the first cleance flight. There is still snow but it's melting quickly. Bees painted snow with orange spots. I scaned quickly 10 hives. Everything seems ok. I lost 4 colonies out of 32, 3 of them were small and weak but another one was strong and died because of starvation during the last days of heavy frost. It was my mistake. A frame or a pakage of honey above could save them.

The average loses in Ukraine are said to be about 20%, but nobody knows exactly. The majority of apiaries are unregistered so the statistics are based on the amount of honey production. In addition the half of the country is still wintering. Anyway recent cold weather destroyed plans of many beekeepers.
I consider my result is good. Now preparing new hives for the next season, the apiary must be double (Napoleon's plans :)).

For a 2 days here was really warm but with some odd strong westerly wind.. Just went to see are there signs of renewed attacks, but seems bees now take care by themselves. I was all in pruning.. a long way to go.. Now better not to shake with me.. I lost a feeling in my hands..
All colonies are live and kickin' so far, 18 more days and then " official counting" of winter losses..
I got some request for bee sample ( BioBeeCro).. It would be hilarious if I send them sample and in my belief of pure carnie it turn to be some odd crossbred of italic-carnie-caucas-blacky-bucky.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Lots of bees flying today, lot of pollen being brought in. The colony is very strong given the cold end to the winter. My only concern is that I left a super with 4 frames of stores on over the winter and (I know it's wrong), the rest of the super was frame free. Predictably the bees have made a bit of a mess of it and I'm going to have a tough job sorting it out as part of my first inspection

Absolutely elated today.

Popped up to check on fondant before the next cold snap. 10 degrees but no flying bees. Clusters/bees across about 7 frames on both hives with perspex crown boards. Nuc was very quiet. Popped roof off to remove a feeder (closed off but stored on nuc) that had gone a bit manky. Super still had stores but very few bees - got too curious and lifted it off - loads below! They're also drawing out the two foundationless frames that I topped the super up with.

Went for a walk - Sun came out so went to see if any were flying. Bees pouring out of all three hives, could hear the buzzing from 30ft away - glorious!

Very excited about the season now!

Last edited:
This afternoon the bees were very active from my nuc. Lifted the lid to check on the block of fondant. I placed fondant direct onto the frames, then an eke and CB. 2 holes in CB are covered with glass so I could easily see one fondant tray was empty 2nd still had some in. Lifted CB and removed empty tray, replaced with some pollen Pattie. Noted the artistic comb build within the eke a challenge for a later date but lots of bees doing fine.

Absolutely elated today.

Popped up to check on fondant before the next cold snap. 10 degrees but no flying bees. Clusters/bees across about 7 frames on both hives with perspex crown boards. Nuc was very quiet. Popped roof off to remove a feeder (closed off but stored on nuc) that had gone a bit manky. Super still had stores but very few bees - got too curious and lifted it off - loads below! They're also drawing out the two foundationless frames that I topped the super up with.

Went for a walk - Sun came out so went to see if any were flying. Bees pouring out of all three hives, could hear the buzzing from 30ft away - glorious!

Very excited about the season now!

:welcome:To the world of beekeeping.

Checked fondant on all hives and topped up as needed. Four very strong hives on 8 frames bees. Weakest on six frames... Weather brightened in pm - 9C - and bees everywhere.

The promise of spring!

I thought it was going that way, but today confirmed that my TBH was a dead out. I run this as minimal intervention colony. Looked like queen failure. Loads of capped stores. Cleaned it up and put a bowl of acetic in, and wrapped the whole thing up in polythene. I will restock it from one of my nucs later on.

All other colonies busy with orientation flights with some pollen coming in

On the menu in the field:
common field-speedwell
chickweed
dead nettle
wood violet ( purple and white)
shepherd's purse
On the menu in the forest borderlines:
cornelian cherry or cornel?
forest willow
primroses
wood violets ( again)
Some mentioned that elms here started to feed the bees - I didn't search for the proof.
So about coming of next Siberian cold wave - no worries, we are growing at the moment as a yeast..

Deers broke again, passed near the hives in a rush. Luckily without overturn. Left some hair and skin on the fence.. seems are not really fond of electricity.. Some fruit trees damaged again..
Mouflons reported near me.. seems my " happiness" will be even greater........

Attachments

• meadow.JPG
    meadow.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 17
  • shower in a distance.JPG
    shower in a distance.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 18
Goran what fruit you growing? Looks like all the snow has cleared.

Up very early this morning for long day at work, so as it is going to be last warm day I quickly put some more fondant on for the coming cold snap. Good to see both hives had cleared most of the first lot I put on when I re homed them from Kent few weeks back.

Enjoyed seeing my bees collecting Yew tree pollen last year for the first time. Won't be any this year as it is all blowing in the wind.

Back