What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I had time to sort out my main Apairy! Bramble, weed's and 2ft grass! With little foot path's going here and there to each set of colonies: D
So much to build this winter I can't see it being any better next year either.. Thought about a sheep lol..

Cut 2 " thick king span to put into the hive roofs that were lacking. Main colonies shut up about two weeks ago - busy today. I put the 6 nucs I am overwintering together into a block, with king span all round the outside with plastic sheeting all round the outside, except for the front. All had gone through the fondant I put on two weeks ago, so each got another slab, despite feeling nice and heavy. Hopefully none will need touching until my mid winter vape

Battening down the hatches here in Glamorgan...wind is getting up but still warm here. All the frames in the supers have been sprayed with certan and the stacks have been secured to the fence. OH is busy putting new roofing felt on the bee shed as his 'bodge it up job' is clearly not going to last the winter...lol.
Weeds have been removed in the storage area but need to get more gravel for that bit. The bees have been flying all day bringing back pollen and there is a slight smell of ivy honey in the air...so I guess they found some...it's been late to flower here.
Still some major weeding to do before the winter sets in.

How to ensure an earlier than expected delivery of Maisie's sale goodies?
Get SWMBO to take a day off so we can have a relaxing trip back from Cardiff's gin festival.
Spent the afternoon restocking the chamber of secrets

Attachments

• pallet.jpg
    pallet.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Wish I had time to sort out my main Apairy! Bramble, weed's and 2ft grass! With little foot path's going here and there to each set of colonies: D
So much to build this winter I can't see it being any better next year either.. Thought about a sheep lol..[/QUOTE

A couple of goats would sort that lot out in no time ... eat anything including bramble ...

A couple of goats would sort that lot out in no time ... eat anything including bramble ...

In fact, they prefer brambles, when we had goats they used to spend their time clearing the scrub and brambles, leaving the pasture for the horses and cattle

Asters in flower.. devilish creatures called deers are stamping them into dirt.. One of sad viewings of deer visits to us..
Quite surprisingly with wild boars have no any problems for now.. Even here are plenty of them and quite often I see them.. I must respect that.

Attachments

• Aster.jpg
    Aster.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 22
In fact, they prefer brambles, when we had goats they used to spend their time clearing the scrub and brambles, leaving the pasture for the horses and cattle

If we had goats...we would have no hedges...if they ate the brambles...lol.
Our horses spend hours blackberrying...they get purple lips and scratched noses but doesn't deter them.

It’s no joke, Paul. It’s serious stuff trying to keep ahead of one’s OH :D
Joking makes it more acceptable ;)

OK. Here's your opportunity to confess your sins (and receive the absolution of fellow beekeepers). What was the latest bee purchase which you've hidden from your other half?
I've been quite good recently. I've bought a couple of books, but, my other half knows I bought them.

I bought a bee veterinary medicine book that was over £60..Not that i need it, it’s already out of date but I like books. I tried to sneak some brood boxes past him but he’s too nosey, he always seems to be in the wrong place. Not that he minds, he’s well past the “ we could recoup costs with the honey” bit. I just lie about the cost of these things. I’d like one of those boxes from Abelo that beefriendly has. The ones that take the water out of your honey. We can already do it with a dehumidifier but the process uses a whole room for a fortnight. One small box would be so handy. I’d love a sublimox but I don’t need one. It’s stuff like that.

I bought a bee veterinary medicine book that was over £60..Not that i need it, it’s already out of date but I like books. I tried to sneak some brood boxes past him but he’s too nosey, he always seems to be in the wrong place. Not that he minds, he’s well past the “ we could recoup costs with the honey” bit. I just lie about the cost of these things. I’d like one of those boxes from Abelo that beefriendly has. The ones that take the water out of your honey. We can already do it with a dehumidifier but the process uses a whole room for a fortnight. One small box would be so handy. I’d love a sublimox but I don’t need one. It’s stuff like that.

By comparison to beekeeping woodturning is a far more dire affliction ... not only are there bigger and better lathes, there's tools and tools and tools and attachments and attachments for tools and then there's timber ... try hiding a another great big lump of timber ... at least hives and hive parts largely look the same so you can convincingly say to the unitiated ... oh that's not new ... you saw it arrive last year..

Try that on with yet another lathe - different colour, different size, too heavy to lift on your own and as soon as there's another person around the suspicions grow ...

Today in the apiary...I did nothing. In fact I have done nothing for about three weeks now as there is nothing I can do. Oh I lie, I put a rock on top of the nuc box so it wouldn't blow off in the little breeze we had this weekend; I've taken it off again now.

Such an interesting post. (There is no 'yawn' emoji) :coolgleamA:

I bought a bee veterinary medicine book that was over £60..

Was pondering that one myself. Is it any good?

The supers trolley is excellent, set at 42oC it reduced uncapped heather honey from 27% water to 20% in less than 24 hours (one super only on trolley)! If you add several supers the top ones take longer to reduce the water content, but it works well.
It brought me a lot of non sell-able heather honey down to below legal limits. Half paid for itself already

Checked last night after the windy night before. Hedge doing a fine job. The bees were fanning at the entrances at 8pm and hives roaring so suspect they found ivy in the last couple of warmer days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back