What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a look in on the bees yesterday to check they are preparing nicely for winter. It was a sunny and warm afternoon but the girls were feisty and I suffered stings through my suit.

Fixture abandoned, to be rescheduled for another warm afternoon soon.

It's going to be another lovely day today.
My containers are full of syrup...ready for feeding.
Everything smells of thymol.....
.......still .....it keeps everyone out of my kitchen and no-one is asking for food...bargain!:hurray:

.......still .....it keeps everyone out of my kitchen and no-one is asking for food...bargain!:hurray:

I agree you only have to look at 'Thymol' and the smell is on you for the day! Best to wear disposable gloves when 'dishing' it out to the bees.

My husband doesn't notice.............alas.

Walking at the back of the hives this morning he remarked that they smell nicely of honey.
To me they STINK

Just the joints. Inside and out, though inside is a pain, so mark three had the joints sealed with bathroom silicone inside. Mark one was left out in the winter without painting, whereupon the foil flaked off, so that one has ally tape all over, then paint

Recticel doesnt flake off, celotex, kingspan do...

Mine are Recticel. The wet Welsh weather does them in without paint and something else attacks the corners.

Mine are Celotex. I paint them and nothing flakes off. ( I use Aldi Metal Paint £5 /liter.

I actually like the smell of thymol, strange I know .. lol
got around to taking a spacer rim off, they had filled it with brace, not surprised and she had laid up with drone brood so that got raked out

Mine are Recticel. The wet Welsh weather does them in without paint and something else attacks the corners.
if the water pools it can be a problem so I use an ally (1.5mm thick) roof cover .
but the sides last bare for at least a couple of years, then its just gloss paint. Blue tits attack the corners if the hive is less than a metre from the hedge...

if the water pools it can be a problem so I use an ally (1.5mm thick) roof cover .
but the sides last bare for at least a couple of years, then its just gloss paint. Blue tits attack the corners if the hive is less than a metre from the hedge...

So to Chickens, i had a few bits spare laid it the garden and the Indian Game fowl have destroyed it.

Removed the cosey and Fed another 4 litres of thyomol syrup in home made contact feeders in a super used as a eke, the last 4 litres i give them had totally gone.
I also checked the inspection board and it was full of Varroa so they got a third gassing, when i went to remove the kitchen towel from the entrance they was a pile of bees trying to get in with some impressive loads of yellow pollen, what could that be ? .

if the water pools it can be a problem so I use an ally (1.5mm thick) roof cover .Blue tits attack the corners if the hive is less than a metre from the hedge...

Roof cover seems a good idea

So to Chickens, i had a few bits spare laid it the garden and the Indian Game fowl have destroyed it.

Perhaps both blue tits and fowl don't like their reflections.

Refilled my rapid feeder. They are emptying it in two days at the mo,and lots of pollen still coming in too.

Removed the cosey and Fed another 4 litres of thyomol syrup in home made contact feeders in a super used as a eke, the last 4 litres i give them had totally gone.
I also checked the inspection board and it was full of Varroa so they got a third gassing, when i went to remove the kitchen towel from the entrance they was a pile of bees trying to get in with some impressive loads of yellow pollen, what could that be ? .
I'm having the same with large loads of pollen. Is it ivy?

Latest posts

Back