What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out to look at a possible swarm, only to find out they were small solitary bees. A lovely couple, they were fascinated with my explanations of bees. Another honey customer could harvest time.

How long will it take a hive to draw out 4 new frames and get back up to full size after an artificial swarm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long will it take a hive to draw out 4 new frames and get back up to full size after an artificial swarm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot less time than it will take for a colony to recover from a successful swarm !

The answer is .. it rather depends upon the forage available and the fecundity of the queens ... they build comb very quickly after an A/S (as they would if they were allowed to swarm naturally) .. so four frames .. a few days is the general answer.

You can always re-combine the colonies after you have done your A/S so you end up with a nice big colony and a much smaller 'starter' colony.

Checked all colonies, thick fog at first this cleared by 10 am then a nice sunny day with a cool easterly wind, max temp about 16 here on coast, bit different from rest of country. Found queen cells in one colony, will be about 2 weeks before swarming is really upon us here. Supers starting to get a bit of weight to them

Yesterday checked four hives at main apiary, split one, but others not quite ready to swarm yet.

At another site both hives doing well but not swarming yet. Did a demaree on both as I've never tried it before, but for a number of reasons am short of kit and also need some brood comb, so I hope this will help me control swarminess and draw some comb.

Found several QC's in one hive with an unmarked Q

Tried replacing bb and moving original away to check for Q - no joy
Tried pairing frames into 5 nuc boxes, leaving for half an hour to narrow down - no joy
Tried a thawing Q in a cage to draw out the Q - no joy

Ended up brushing one frame (with best charged QC) and shaking rest through a QX into new box - at last found her, what a relief
Have left the old bb on top overnight for nurse bees to return to the brood, and will complete the a/s tomorrow morning

3 hours in a sweaty beesuit this afternoon - pfffttt not fun

Moved two colonies and a Nuc to a new Apiary today (up at six on a Sunday!!).
They are now on the edge of a small wood facing out onto beautiful green countryside, down side was moving the TB hive the bloody thing weighed a tonne and had to remove the roof and legs to transport it, drove very gently the twenty minutes to their new home to avoid breaking the soft comb but all okay, phew!
I was going to take a few pictures but forgot, darn it!
When I got back the hundred ish bees that were locked out last night as they were under the open mesh floor had gathered in and around a mating Nuc I put in the TB's place which was the plan, what I hadn't planned on was that they went nuts at anyone or anything that went within 40 feet! really nasty behaviour, I guess they were a bit peed off at being left behind :hairpull:

Moved my overwintered poly nuc bees into a polyhive. It is the first nuc I created so I am thrilled they are doing well. Added another super to a full hive. Play cups seen but no queen cells as yet.

That's when Wally Shaw's modified Snelgrove would have save you a lot of sweat :D
I had the same problem last week. Large colony. Unmarked queen and couldn't remember the exact details of a snelgrove 2 despite having swotted up on it a few weeks ago. When I got home and read the booklet again I was kicking myself. It's so simple. Just move the colony several feet away and put one frame of eggs/ brood without queencells in a new box on original site. No need to hunt the queen. So easy. Then when you return in 10 days queen will be easy to find as all the fliers have flown back and hopefully the swarming plans will have been abandoned as the fliers think they swarmed.

I have it committed to memory now!

Seven a/s using wally shaw method as I do not mark my queens and can never find them, two dm and a further four supers added.

Checked out two new sites both about 4/5 hundred yards from a old land fill site that is covered in wildflower. I had one hive close last year and although only got two supers off it the honey won all four shows I entered it in so well chuffed gaining the new sites.

First inspection today so pleased to find both colonies have brood and laying Queens. Not much in the way of stores so a quick top up of syrup.
Have managed to locate a space in the middle of 3 huge rape seed fields so sill be moving them tomorrow.

Cheers for that Erichalfbee, I've downloaded it and will get it sorted in my head for the next one

I keep my inspection reports in a clipboard. I add copies of useful procedures for immediate reference tucked into the flap in the front cover. So available for immediate reference when doing beekeeping.

When you become senile, such cheats are useful - sorry essential :sunning:

While demareeing one colony, swarm emanated from my strongest:I clip all Queens. Swarm settled 30 feet up a nearby horsechestnut. Surely I clipped off enough wing to prevent flight? Quick check through the parent hive (few bees left at home so was easy to spot the hidden queen cell) and a look on the ground for herself. Then waited 20 minutes and the swarm dutifully returned having found themselves Q-, accompanied by massive number of furiously fanning bees on the alighting board. Still awe-inspiring after all these (46) years of beekeeping. And now back to business as usual, in 2 supers and more to come.

I keep my inspection reports in a clipboard. I add copies of useful procedures for immediate reference tucked into the flap in the front cover. So available for immediate reference when doing beekeeping.

When you become senile, such cheats are useful - sorry essential :sunning:

Now this is surely a brilliant suggestion. I use a clipboard with my hive cards on it. So easy to print off some of these procedures and laminate them. It will prevent that immobilising feeling of total panic and the following amnesia for all things bee related....when opening a hive to find they have thrown a caved ball.

Now this is surely a brilliant suggestion. I use a clipboard with my hive cards on it. So easy to print off some of these procedures and laminate them. It will prevent that immobilising feeling of total panic and the following amnesia for all things bee related....when opening a hive to find they have thrown a caved ball.

Thanks.. I am too modest to claim its all my own thinking as someone has surely done it before.

One hive swarmed at 10.30am in bright sunlight..(And I had checked it last week and obviously missed QCs).. Bottom of azalea bush jobbie and rehived by 12.00am.

Cutting down dead ash (died last year) which overhangs hives. Very careful job. 10 meters up , bees from naughty hive came to visit and stung me on the neck. 20 minutes later, the same hive stung me on the ear. Fortunately I am pretty immune so lots of pain and no swelling. (I was expecting their visit so did not fall off tree! :eek:

Discovered 4 queen cells in one hive on my second inspection of the year. Tore down the two youngest ones, found HM and did a Pagden AS.

First 'proper' AS I have done - last year's was a bit of a dogs breakfast to be honest, and it was succussful despite me and not because of me, so I am looking forwards to seeing how this one turns out.

My other hive was a bit noisier than ususal - at first I wondered if I had damaged the queen when I marked her (poorly) last week but I spotted BIAS with eggs standing up, so I guess she is there somewhere.

At the start of the season I was adamant that I wasn't going to have any more than 2 permanent colonies (with other temporary ones as necessary for AS) but now I am thinking of ways to persuade the SWMBO otherwise :)

Latest posts

Back