What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fed all colonies apart from MB boxed one (the only one to survive AFB).

Got a swarm callout this pm - sounds like honeybees and NOT tree bumbles..

Went and inspect a new Apiary today, looks very good, loads of forage for the bees and close to heather thats just starting to flower, we'll move some hives up there later in the week.

Had my hives inspected by the SBI for the first time so was a bit nervous. No disease but a bit of bald brood that is not a problem apparently. One hive still Queenless so uniting with a swarm tonight. The SBI was extremely helpful and gave me some useful tips so a good experience all round.

Topped up the feeders on all the smaller colonies except the nuc...which had a fair amount of stored syrup already. Pleased to see brood on 2 frames so B74 doing her thing...and a fair amount of eggs seen. I am rather fond of her so I hope the bees continue to like her. Also..in Hive 3... .the queen, which had been laying loads of drone is laying well now with 61/2 frames of brood. So it was worthwhile delaying decisions about her. All the others are doing well and looking set up for a flow...if it happens. The colony which had produced a superceedure cell...has a queen as the cell was empty last week...there are polished cells...so fingers crossed for her to start laying soon.:nature-smiley-016::nature-smiley-016:
I didn't inspect the more mature colonies as we will do them tomorrow...apparently we are to have another sunny day!

Fed all colonies apart from MB boxed one (the only one to survive AFB).

Got a swarm callout this pm - sounds like honeybees and NOT tree bumbles..

6:12pm
They were honeybees. a small cast lying on the front lawn. Looks like starvation. Collected them and rehoused in a Keiler mini nuc with added eke.. and loaded with fondant.

As the forecast is good, the queen may mate (still drones around). There is some comb in the hive so they may even survive the winter in it if she mates successfully.

Too busy between cooking/bee catching/hiving to take photos..

This is her.....introduced this morning. The bees seem content with her but I'll leave her under the introduction cage for 3 days to give her a chance to settle in.

Number 37? Is that a lucky number for you, when the ship queens for abroad how long do they take to arrive? I wish you all the best with her.

Number 37? Is that a lucky number for you, when the ship queens for abroad how long do they take to arrive? I wish you all the best with her.

Thanks...its number 87 actually. She emerged from her cell on 5/6/2013 and was marked before going to the Wangerooge mating station.
She was posted from The Netherlands on Tuesday and arrived yesterday afternoon

I went to look at an apiary site on the edge of dinas Powys. Surrounded by fields and woods. Looks good.
Went to my swarm now 8 weeks old - on 7 frames of brood. They have lots of thick arcs of honey but no full frames so fed them syrup.
Looked in 36b's hive - I think she is no more as no sign of any brood or eggs. 6 days ago gave them 2 frames of brood and eggs as a test. Today no sign of EQC now rather puzzled!
Also looked in on my laying worker/tiniest queen nuc. I got really brave and squished her. My first queen(?) squishing. Eek! Then shook the rest of em out near my nuc with a new laying queen - my first shake out. I was going to let em dwindle to nothing but they just looked so cute with their little eyes looking at me I just had to try save em.

Looked in 36b's hive - I think she is no more as no sign of any brood or eggs. 6 days ago gave them 2 frames of brood and eggs as a test. Today no sign of EQC now rather puzzled!
They have a queen ... you missed her. Feed them and the queen will come back into lay.

They have a queen ... you missed her. Feed them and the queen will come back into lay.
Yes I'm assuming there must be a queen. There is a LOT of honey in that hive. It's a big work force still. I reckon the queen stopped laying shortly after she went in there on 16 July. Is it likely she would startup again after this period of time?

Yes I'm assuming there must be a queen. There is a LOT of honey in that hive. It's a big work force still. I reckon the queen stopped laying shortly after she went in there on 16 July. Is it likely she would startup again after this period of time?

OMG...thats a MONTH ago! I thought you meant you just hadn't seen her for one inspection. When did you last see the queen?
If she is there, she will need space to lay and a steady supply of food. If there isn't space, you could take some honey combs out (keep them in storage incase of emergency) and replace them with empty combs.

Over at Dusty's again today with Arran, who now steals all his fruit and inspects the contents of his freezer each time we visit for some reason, strange child. I suspect looking for ice creams. Anyway, bees.

Hive 1, just been treated with MAQS. Looks like she went off lay for a day or two but we saw her and eggs. Her offspring have emerged now and they seem quieter than the previous queen's so all is good in that hive.

Hive 2, BIAS. Madge seen. Filling up the supers again after emptying them and lots of balsam bees returning to that hive.

Just another fun morning, poking around in bees. Thank you Dusty, isn't Arran coming on? He'll be running his own colony soon, at this rate ;)

well summer is over, i did nine hives with apiguard on one apiary, BIAS in all hive with 5 to 8 frames of brood

another apairy i share with a friend was not ready for varroa treatment as cleaning supers had not worked well so some needed to be cleared down.

Both my hives had stores and Bias and 6-8 frames of brood and one had a white marked italain type queen.......err neither of us marked her ,so were the H***! did she come from, but she had excellent brood. so thats 14 left to treat plus one i don't talk about

Last edited:
well summer is over, i did nine hives with apiguard on one apiary, BIAS in all hive with 5 to 8 frames of brood

another apairy i share with a friend was not ready for varroa treatment as cleaning supers had not worked well so some needed to be cleared down.

Both my hives had stores and Bias and 6-8 frames of brood and one had a white marked italain type queen.......err neither of us marked her ,so were the H***! did she come from, but she had excellent brood. so thats 14 left to treat plus one i don't talk about

Now...we all want to know about the one...which you don't talk about! It must be a different hive type....ummmm ...I wonder???

Made a 5 frame 14x12 national nuc.

Its the first one I have made and unfortunately I could't find any plans so made it up as I went along. I'm quite pleased with it.

Also knocked up a new stand.

Combined a small nuc with a fairly week hive.

Rearranged supers on my biggest hive with a view to taking them off next and boy were they grumpy. Somehow managed to get stung right between the eyes when one of the little lovelies managed to get into my veil. Aso got stung on the forearm through me suit.

There's plenty of stores in the hive but next to nothing has been added to the supers for weeks, so I'm assuming that flow is now over for the summer, despite the rain and warmer weather recently.

Would the end of flow turn them grumpy? They're normally fairly placid.

Latest posts

Back