What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fixed bluetit damage to the Recticel hives with some ally tape.

THis year the blue tits have started pecking at the corners of the roof and the floor. What they are achieving by this I dont know... perhaps they are frustrated by the abscence of delivered milk bottles

Perhaps you have wax moth infestation, read the signs

Sorry, but harsh. Blue Tits eat insects so I thought they might be after their prey. They need a lot of insects, they 'home' in on their prey.

+9 and sunny today in SE London so feed overwintering nucs and stocked up out apiary shed with boxes and frames. Roll on spring.

Mike

Forecast is for an unseasonally warm January (8's and 9's), so popped a jar of fondant onto each hive as 'indicators', just in case the Met Office is right for a change ...

LJ

Trickled hives and nucs with oxalic two days ago. Massive drop of varroa (100s) in each hive. Very pleased that such a cheap treatment has killed so many of the little swines and given the bees a healthier start to the new year.

Nice sunny and warmish day, so bees out in good numbers. Yellow pollen going in and me thinks water collection. Lots of bees flying low sitting on moss and dark brown vegetation.

Trickled hives and nucs with oxalic two days ago. Massive drop of varroa (100s) in each hive. Very pleased that such a cheap treatment has killed so many of the little swines and given the bees a healthier start to the new year.

If there were that many then much damage has already been done to the young bees.

Lots of bees flying today, we were taking down outside christmas lights & bees were everywhere taking water back to the hives.

Helped tidy up Association apiary, re-hanging screen and removing winter leaves etc.
After 80 minutes very wet work, the rain became heavier and turned to rain and wet snow. We both gave up and went home. 2C and ice warning from the car..

Needless to say, no bees flying...

went down to the apiary, we had a heavy frost last night, and at 3.30pm the frost was still on the grass, ground was hard, and crunchy under foot, car would not start, so it must have got cold last night, -1 temperature outside, and my head was hurting even with a hat on!

It was good to see that the location of the hives, the outside sun, had melted all the frost around the surrounding area, apart from areas in shade.

I'm returning to check the varroa drop after 14 days, I was puzzled, I'm sure I had all boards in, and then found one inspection board 100m away in the field, must have been blown out!

Hive1 - 35 (after 14 days)
Hive2 - 70 (after 14 days)

Other hives low counts of 3/4.

After forum responses will treat. I may invest in a Varrox! (as honey sales have been good, and not spent any money yet in the Thornes sale, no need plenty of stocks, but will re-check supers before the end of Sale on Jan 23!

Forecast is for an unseasonally warm January (8's and 9's), so popped a jar of fondant onto each hive as 'indicators', just in case the Met Office is right for a change ...

LJ

first half looking milder than average with potential for some stormy weather due to active jet stream... second half could see colder conditions.

Tried 'hefting the hive' but gave it up as some hives had 2 bricks whilst others had 3 bricks frozen to their rooves. Also nearly pulled my back out, I don't think this was due to weight, more likely they were frozen to the hive stands. There was a nice hum coming from all 7 colonys.

Last edited:
Pleased to see that the varroa drops are now tailing off nicely on those hives where OA has been used. Still much higher counts than I would have liked though.

Had a tidy up of the bee shed, made up a few frames (still 50 odd to go!). Still procrastinating when it comes to cleaning up last seasons supers and frames. Must just get on with it.

Ordered Chinese takeaway for tea tonight as I seem to have lost last year's supply of clear plastic takeaway cartons (aka fondant feeder tubs)........ Mmmmm, sweet and sour chicken Hong kong style, yum!

went down to the apiary, we had a heavy frost last night, and at 3.30pm the frost was still on the grass, ground was hard, and crunchy under foot, car would not start, so it must have got cold last night, -1 temperature outside, and my head was hurting even with a hat on!

It was good to see that the location of the hives, the outside sun, had melted all the frost around the surrounding area, apart from areas in shade.

I'm returning to check the varroa drop after 14 days, I was puzzled, I'm sure I had all boards in, and then found one inspection board 100m away in the field, must have been blown out!

Hive1 - 35 (after 14 days)
Hive2 - 70 (after 14 days)

Other hives low counts of 3/4.

After forum responses will treat. I may invest in a Varrox! (as honey sales have been good, and not spent any money yet in the Thornes sale, no need plenty of stocks, but will re-check supers before the end of Sale on Jan 23!

Strong winds then! D'you have sticky inspection boards - if not wind might have blown varroa off the boards thus reducing your counts

OA today at 9.45am all looking good so pleased for now and gave some of the vegetation a cut back

Grub

Fondants/patties made. Still not placed in the hives, I am waiting for right time ( soon). So here we go again, brood started and all madness which come along.
I was disappointed how colonies have no worth for selling over here.. I said to people if I want to just give them I will give you for no money. I want to sell.. When remember how long was needed to achieve this and others say all that worth a nickle.. If I get p!ssed I will sell none and go into season.. But lack of time is killing me.. So for now I am still in pat position..

With the local group, we had a demo of sublimation on 3 hives, trickled three more for comparison, then went to a first year beek to help/reassure her as she trickled her three.
Then, via the pub, home to trickle my own dozen hives. Thankfully with a second pair of hands.

Trickling actually proved quicker than vaporising with two people per hive - one trickling, the other advancing the coverboard to cover each seam once it had been done.
We also demonstrated the importance of speed from the first bump of the hive to getting the cover fully on. (The slower you are, the more bees have time to get their muscles up to flying temperature, and can try and 'help' ...)

/// Added - for trickling it was just refilled "Trickle2" bottles.
It would be even quicker with a fancy backpack tank and one of those 5ml metering waterpistol units.
Standard syrup recipe: 1 kilo sugar + 1 litre water + 75g Oxalic crystals.

Last edited:
-3C yesterday morning but sun meant that one hive decided to do a few toilet flights in the afternoon.. (Yes it was my sole polyhive)

First flying bees I have seen for a month (or more)..

one hive decided to do a few toilet flights in the afternoon.. (Yes it was my sole polyhive)

That got me thinking - as it does for some of us - so I am now wondering about nosema and whether or not polyhive colonies are less affected than those in timber hives (at least the uninsulated ones) because the bees can take the opportunity for more cleansing flights from polyhives.

Clearly the infection is often there, but the progression of the disease may be far less damaging if the bees can manage to poop away from the hive.

Any one with any thoughts, data, or comment on the possibility?

Hypothesis is: Survival of overwintering colonies, which are infected with nosema (apis variety), is superior for colonies housed in polyhives compared to those in uninsulated timber hives.

RAB

Latest posts

Back