What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxalic acid treated this morning. Quite pleased best colony 8 lines next 5 and worst 4 all looked health and not too aggressive. Gave the 2 lightest colonies a block of Ambrosia each. Cleaned entrances and looked for dead bees , non below the landing boards, so again pleased. Cleaned inspection board in floor just the odd mite, will look again in a couple of days to see the drop.

Now have to start a medicine record for the bees just the same as the cattle and sheep.

I have used API-BIOXAL, which I thought was approved for UK use, but have now discovered is only approved for use in Ireland, Spain and Italy. I have therefore treated the top bars, crown board and frames with generic Oxalic Acid, as a sanitizer.

Mike

Now why would it be approved for use by us and not for our friends across the water, geographically a stones throw away, and climatically much the same in areas of same latitude ??

Put another way " Where ignorance is bliss "
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have used API-BIOXAL, which I thought was approved for UK use, but have now discovered is only approved for use in Ireland, Spain and Italy. I have therefore treated the top bars, crown board and frames with generic Oxalic Acid, as a sanitizer.

No reason not to use Api-Bioxal as a treatment, and keep the records you mentioned earlier. The product is approved for within other EU member states so it can be bought and used here in UK under the cascade agreement. :)

Well. Not what I did, but what I'm going to do. I'll go and offer a little food for the resident robin, as he may be a little hard pressed to find his own today. He generally approaches quite close, while I am digging, normally. Shall keep an eye open for woodpeckers, but doubt they are hard pressed enough to cause trouble just yet...

Have done my OA treatments . Most colonies on brood plus super. Be warned. Most were light going on desperate for stores, despite going into winter full of stores. Gave them some fondant, and when local baker opens will get some more.

Hives were left with a full super of stores each,hefted them yesterday and really heavy.Need to do OA treatment but a tad windy today.Hives have always been sited at an out apiary,but now in our garden so really looking forward to summer evenings with a glass of wine watching the girls at work.

Early start today. Drove over to the Association Queen Breeding station to meet up with a couple of others and we treated the hives with OA. Returned home and treated all mine as well.
When I went indoors my wife pointed out several brownish yellow "worms" on my bee suit. She is now aware of what bee poo looks like when the bee hasn't had a poo for a while :)

Cleared snow from hive entrances. Saw fox had been inspecting hives judging by footsteps in snow..(regular occurrence: the den is under the foot of the nearest trees in the background).

http://tinyurl.com/jwlh9zz

Checked the hives after Oxalic acid treatment yesterday. Only found 2 mites had dropped on one hive, could not see any on the other 2. I was expecting more. Maybe it was not necessary but better to treat than not. Bees flying although it was only 6oC and no snow although it was forecast.

Mike

Checked the hives after Oxalic acid treatment yesterday. Only found 2 mites had dropped on one hive, could not see any on the other 2. I was expecting more. Mike
Patience - it takes a while, a lot fall into empty cells as well and won't be cleared out until spring and the bees are active

Hefted all the hives. All feel heavier......Christmas has obviously weakened me!!!
Watched "The Secret Life of Bees" on tele last night; not as I remembered the book but pleasant enough.....lots of beehives in the sunshine to look at :)

Vaporised ten hives with Oxalic Acid today. :) So easy once into a routine with it.

All seem to be alive and well judging by the fanning heard as the Varrox was turned on!

One hive floor was thick with dead bees whereas the others were more or less clear. House sluts? I don't think it's anything more sinister as looking through the Perspex crown board they seemed to be healthy and populous.

Looking forward to the active season again, although still plenty of frames to make up and supers to sort out!

Finally winter came here, expecting snow storm tonite and if is to believe to prognosis some 30-50cm of snow. We are going from +15 to -15C in short time. Right on time to slow down or stop brooding. Too early here it started..

Will be no pics, I broke my camera.. :banghead:

Checked three occupied Langs for mite drop after 7 days: counts 1,0,4.
Removed boards. Will not treat.

Interestingly the quantity of comb cappings under the two wooden hives was at least double the quantity under the MB poly hive.. thus confirming the claim that "bees in poly hives eat fewer stores than bees in wooden ones" . (The polyhive has more bees as well)..

Actually yesterday, as I got stranded at my daughters house, 6 inches of snow.
Much regretting not giving the bees their usual Christmas present on Christmas Eve. I had to clear the snow of the top and put fondant on both hives. There had been a starvation warning by the local Association a couple of weeks ago due to the high unseasonal temperatures, which had not bothered me at the time as I had left plenty of honey on, Now the snow looks to be here for a while I did not want to take any risks. The bigger colony had used a full super and was at work on another so two pierced freezer bags with fondant went on top of the bars. The smaller colony got one. I shall not wait and see again! Looking like more snow now :ohthedrama:

Last edited:
Ordered my foundation for 2015 and made a 'wish list' for the forthcoming online sales. No woodwork this time, just odds and ends. I'm determined not to increase my hive numbers next season!

Checked some inspection boards 36hrs after OA - yikes, glad I treated! As others have recently said, natural mite drop does not always reflect the reality!

Watched one hive of 'nutter bees' flying at 2 degrees - and not a thermal vest in sight ;)

Latest posts

Back